Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Marriage and the New DCU

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, September 05, 2011

Marriage and the New DCU

Around the DC offices as of late, it appears that Marriage is actually a Four-Letter-Word. They are dumping spouses all over the place in the relaunch. Apparently, they learned from the fiasco...I mean HUGE SUCCESS at Marvel, that people don't realy WANT to see a happily married super hero or heroine. And they may be right...except for all of the people that DID.

But I'm not bitter.

Anyhoo. They are splitting up Clark and Lois, but we've all known that for a while. And they are also splitting up Barry Allen and Iris West. I actually can't summon up a whole lot of outrage for that one. I like Barry, and I've always liked Barry, but Jay Garrett is my favorite Flash. And they had better NOT split him and Joan up! Or...or...I'll be quite irate, is what I'll be! But I've been reading the Absorbascon as usual, and Scipio makes quite the argument about the lovely Iris. Namely that she's a vicious harpy, and Barry is probably better off.

But anyway...are ALL the marriages out the door? You really can't split up Big Barda and Scott Free...now can you? Or the Dibnys. Of course they've killed the Dibnys off, so the problem may not come up, but still...Ralph needs Sue and vice versa. As I mentioned before, Jay and Joan had better still be wed, not to mention Liberty Belle and Hourman.

Hey, are Thomas and Martha Wayne still married? Who knows, in the new reboot, maybe Bruce is just some orphan they found in a field somewhere. They've already killed off the Kents, just so that Superman doesn't have anyone. Cuz' he's a Loner. A brooding, angsty loner.

If they have disbanded all the marriages, I can't help but wonder. Does this mean that people who weren't ever married BEFORE...could be married NOW? Because really, turn-about is fair play, and all of that. Hal and Carol could be wed! Or Guy and Ice! Or...or Ollie and Dinah! Wait, we tried that one already, and it didn't take. Still...what the heck. Howabout Diana and Steve Trevor? They don't seem to be able to get a handle on her books, make her a housewife in Schenectady, and see how it flies. I heard that her new book was going to be a horror book, which should be right up her alley...this could make it TRULY horrifying!

Yes, it is Monday, and I'm grasping at straws here. But keep in mind that I am one of those weird WOMEN who read comic books, and obviously, I want to turn them into Romance Comics and get rid of all the boobs and violence. Or so I am told.

Any ideas?

5 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

After they killed the Spider-Girl series (Mayday Parker) I stopping buying Marvel because of this. Guess what, not everyone is single in real life guys!

Not a huge Flash fan but I thought the marriage was a huge part of the lore? That she's his lightening rod? And you know, their Barts' grandparents! Is it just because they don't want to explain why the couple never talks about their twins that died or the fact Iris used to be older?

I don't see the point in getting rid of the Dibnys marriage as it actually was a huge part of their story. Ditto with Scott and Barda, who were Jack Kirby creations. Barda was apparently based off his own wife. I'd like to see Guy and Tora get married. Or how about someone else elopes on impulse?

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I wonder if there's trouble in some real life marriages that's soured the DCU PTB against marriage.

Anyway, I like the idea of an abandoned, orphaned Bruce Wayne, found and raised by Alfred who'd inherited Wayne Manor after the Waynes were killed by a robber. ;)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Fairly certain I've read that Hawkman's going to be single again - they're definitely ditching the Egyptian/resurrection side of things so either Shiera and/or Kendra are out the window, more's the pity.

And why oh why didn't they let Ollie and Dinah stay married even before the new 52? Those pair should be together even more than Clark and Lois as far as I'm concerned.

See? Not every bloke is against happily married couples.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

There does seem to be a certain amount of wholesale dumping of both characters and relationships. I guess they're trying to make things...simpler?

But I'm not sure that throwing decades of continuity out the window, just because it make the writer have to actually consider what came before, is necessarily a good idea. Nor will it follow that new readers are going to jump in, simply because they've dumped Lois and Iris.

What is really weird, is that although Wally is in limbo...not to mention Linda and the kids...Bart IS supposed to be Kid Flash! What the...?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Wait, so Bart is still Bart and they split Barry and Iris, and Wally and Linda are MIA? COnsidering all this talk of making comics in multiple Genres, they go and destroy what was essentially a romance comic built around speedster love stories...the more I learn the sadder I become.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home