Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday's Reviews

And the new books just continue to roll along. We had some palpable hits, and a few misses this week.

Batman & Robin #1

Tomasi and Gleason! Woohoo! Damian paired up with Bruce instead of Dick! Slightly less woohoo, but still not bad.

We begin with...something...picking off the various Batmen Inc., at least that is my assumption. Tough luck for the poor Russian Bat. Meanwhile, back at stately Wayne Manor...Bruce is brooding over a photograph of his parents. They're dead, you know. He hauls Damian out of bed, and they go off to Crime Alley, for one last pilgrimage, before it's demolished and rennovated, which is actually a pretty good deal, all things considered. Bruce has finally decided that rather than honor the anniversary of their deaths, he's going to honor their wedding anniversary instead, which is probably the most healthy feeling that he's had in a very long time. Damian is his usual sarcastic and snarky self, But Bruce seems to be...dealing with it. Oh, and the bad guys show up, siphoning off radioactive fluid of some kind, and Robin blows them up, and Bruce saves the block, and all KINDS of cool stuff happens.

This is excellent, as can be expected from these two creators.

Batwoman #1

It's been one heck of a long wait for this book, but it's probably worth it. The artwork is exquisite, naturally. Kate is still running about, although she's a bit at odds with her father at the moment, and seems to be trying to break in a sidekick. She's also trying to find out what is happening to kidnapped children. It's awfully pretty and a bit spooky, and just darned good.

Demon Knights #1

I wasn't going to pick this up, but then I heard some good things about it, and I am awfully glad that I did. It has Etrigan of course, AND Jason Blood, and Madame Xanadu, and Ytsin, and some other people, and Vandal Savage shows up and Mordu and there is sorcery and dragons, and...and stuff. There are some rather amusing moments in with all the mayhem, and the art is pretty and the story moves right along, and by cracky, I'll be continuing with this one.

Green Lantern #1

Oh...that was great. More anon.

Red Lanterns #1

Well...it wasn't terrible. I don't quite know what I was expecting. Dex-Starr shows up and shows off his catlike fury, which was fun. Atrocitus is worried that he's losing his edge. There are a bunch of other Red Lanterns, but they just frolic around being cranky for the most part. Bleez is back to being incoherent, which is a shame. Somehow she must have escaped from Zardor, when she had been taken prisoner in Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, along with Sodam Yat, a few months back. How did that storyline end, anyway? Oh...that's right...it DIDN'T. Maybe we'll find out what happened eventually.

It was ok. Not great, not terrible.

Resurrection Man #1

Oh Mitch...I've missed you. I loved the original book, and I'm so happy to have it back. Mitch ends up on a plane for some reason, with magnetic powers. And a mysterious woman shows up, and everything goes to heck, and there are OTHER mysterious beings after him, and gosh, it's all just a lot of fun. And pretty decent art again, which is nice.

Suicide Squad #1

Urgh. I wanted to like this, I did. I love Deadshot, and I'm rather fond of Harley, and I even like King Shark from the Secret Six. At first I thought that it was going to BE like the Secret Six...but of course it's not. The Suicide Squad has been captured on their first mission and are being tortured and questioned and whatnot, and poor Savant, gives up and spills the beans, and gets dragged off, and that's the last they see of Savant. The rest of them don't crack however, and it turns out that the whole thing was just a jolly little exercise to see which of them was the toughest. And some thin attractive black woman shows up claiming in to be Amanda Waller.

Haw! That's not Amanda Waller. I don't know what they have done with her, but until she returns, I doubt that I'll be reading this book. And yes, Harley's new outfit is just as painful as it looks, and King Shark is suddenly a hammerhead, and has lost his wit and joie de vivre.

Sigh.

I also picked up Swamp Thing, from last week, and I should have gotten it last week, because it was pretty darned good. AND pretty art. We're doing quite well on the art this week.

I was going to pick up Mister Terrific, but I couldn't find it for some reason. Maybe next week, if we got shorted.

I still miss a lot of things about the OLD DC universe, but thus far, the new one isn't completely awful.

5 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankenstein was fantastic.
Did you find Animal Man?
uswzb

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Shiraste said...

Agreed for the most part.

Still don't like Batman & Robin. Gonna stick with the other Batman stuff I guess.

Batwoman was STELLAR. I loved the art and the story is fine as well. Can't decide if I like this one or Swamp Thing more of the "new" ones.
Well, GL isn't in the running since it just rocks anyway.

Red Lanterns was... average I guess. Didn't really like the red guys from the start and I don't think I'll continue there. Nice behind on Bleez however. ^^

Demon Knights was fun. Definitely again next time. Guess that's where my D&D soul parties too. \o/

Suicide Squad was meh, Mr Terrific was even more meh imo. Terrible dialogue and really inconsistent art there. I def won't pick those up again...
Oh, before I forget, had to think of you, Sally, reading Mr Terrific.
I guess you'll find out why when you pick it up. ;)

New to Resurrection Man but I guess I'll try it for a couple more issues. I like it but am not (yet) sold on it.

Deathstroke was kind of fun. Just showing what kind of amoral soab Slade is - again. And don't tell him he's too old for this sh..! ;) Liked the artwork there a lot.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I didn't read Frankenstein...just not my thing. And I couldn't find Animal Man! Frankly I'm amazed that Buddy and Ellen are still married!

Batwoman WAS stellar. And pretty. So so pretty.

Yeah, Red Lanterns wasn't that great, I love Lanterns, but even I am not quite sure why they are making this series. A mini-series...perhaps. And I'm beginning to be glad that I missed on Mister Terrific. I saw some of the art on Scans Daily...and it was dreadful.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well, if the solicits for Mr. Terrific are correct, they'll have a completely different artist for issue 2.

And another different artist for issue 3. Which doesn't bode well.

When you say Damien blew the bad guys up, were these artificial lifeform bad guys, or did he outright kill someone? Is New DC Batman down with lethal force? Heck, Morrison's going back to the beginning with Superman, why not have a writer do the same with Batsy? Bust out the Bat-firearms, we're going 1930s style on Gotham's criminal element!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, it's a little ambiguous. He didn't set OUT to kill them, but the actions he took, made it very easy for them to GET killed. Or something. Needless to say, Papa Bat wasn't too thrilled. Damian may be in for a Bat-Spanking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home