Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday's Reviews

Well...there were some highs and some lows, but that is pretty much typical for every week. Let us begin.

Blue Beetle #1

Um...exactly why are we doing this over again? The "new" Blue Beetle, written by Keith Giffen and John Rogers of a couple of years ago, was practically perfect in every way. A charming teenaged hero, who just happened to be a minority. A stellar supporting cast. A magnificent and dastardly menace to fight. An amazing concept that had been used before, with Dan Garrett and Ted Kord, and yet given a twist and a reworking that was amazing. It may not have been a huge monetary success, but it certainly was a critical one, receiving praise from far and wide.

So naturally...they felt that they had to tweak it. We have Tony Bedard writing, and Ig Guara drawing it. We still have Jaime Reyes, we still have his parents, and his little sister Milagro. We still have Paco and Brenda. But...but the CHARM is gone. Jaime is whiney and sullen. Paco is suddenly a high-school drop-out and a bit of a jerk. Brenda is a cipher. Milagro has no speaking part. Booster Gold, and Ted Kord had nothing to do with his origin. He wasn't lost in space for a year. He just happens to find a packpack with the Scarab in it. Granted, a Green Lantern does show up, but it is merely an adequate comic book...instead of a magnificent one.

It reminds me more of a 90's comic book. Everyone is very very muscular, and tough and violent. The...sweetness is gone. Unless this changes very quickly, then I doubt that I'll continue with this...although I will give it a chance to have Guy Gardner show up. Which might redeem it. A bit.

Birds of Prey #1

Well...it wasn't terrible. But it certainly wasn't anything special. Barbara Gordon does show up, but it seems very awkward, and there certainly isn't any sort of closeness or cameraderie between her or Dinah. Dinah is still the Black Canary, and she still kicks butt, and apparently she is still mistakenly wanted by the law, but now her bestest buddy is some chick named Starling, who seems to be a party girl. I don't know what else she does. Katanna and Ivy don't show up.

I guess that I'll give it a few more issues to hook me. But I miss Zinda. And Helena. And Misfit, and Barda and Oracle. It's just not the same.

DC Universe Presents: Deadman #1

This was actually pretty good. I like Deadman, and they don't seem to have changed him all that much. It's an origin of sorts, and seems fairly philosophical, and not a whole lot actually happens, but I found it to be modestly interesting, so I'll stick around and see what happens next.

Fables #102

It's rather nice to read a book that doesn't have a number one for a change. Fables continues the story of Bufkin in Oz, and the search for a new North Wind, and a number of other plot points. Good as always.

Nightwing #1

I'm actually rther surprised at myself for buying this, but I had been thoroughly enjoying Dick as Batman, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Dick is back in the Nightwing suit...or actually a NEW Nightwing suit, and seems to be fairly comfortable doing so. The circus...HIS circus is back in town and he decides to visit, and then is attacked by a mysterious bad guy whom he makes the mistake of underestimating. Not mindboggling, but perfectly pleasant, so I guess I'll be sticking around to see where it goes.

Wonder Woman #1

Now THIS I liked. I liked it a lot. Brian Azzarello does a fine job with Diana, and Cliff Chiang has purty purty art. Strange strange things are happening in the world, with mysterious mythlike figures popping up violently all over the place. The scene with the centaurs is grisly, but well-done. There is a beleagured young lady, an overmatched defender, and a key, and suddenly Diana asleep in London of all places. But by gum, she's back to being the REAL Diana, and hops out of bed and into her Wonder Woman suit, to go and defend the helpless and fight the baddies, and it is a rollicking good time.

Green Lantern Corps #1

Oh yes. God yes. More tomorrow.

So, two that thrilled me, a couple that were good enough and a couple that were doubtful. I was particularly disappointed with Blue Beetle because I LOVE Jaime, and I wanted...Oh How I Wanted to like this. But it just seems so pointless.

I also took a quick gander at Catwoman and Jason and the Outsiders, or whatever the heck it is called, and threw up a little in my mouth. So...no.

7 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder woman was very good indeed
uswzb

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Shiraste said...

Birds of Prey was okay I guess. Another case of only seeing part of the team *cough* Justice League *cough*. I'll see how it evolves.

I agree, DCU presents was different in tone. It almost reminded me a bit of Ostrander's Spectre run.

Nightwing sort of bored me. I don't think I'll get it again. However Batman was VERY nice.

Wonder Woman was surprisingly good. I'm not a big WW fan but this one hooked me.

Captain Atom was meh. It's another one I won't pick up again. But it was Catwoman that makes the unholy trinity of Rubbish featuring Mr Terrific and Suicide Squad complete. I hope they drop one of those ASAP for JSA (in the real universe if possible).

Great synopsis of Blue Beetle. Not gonna get it again.

GLC was fun. ^^ Guy and John worked surprisingly well in this issue but it isn't really a normal issue imo.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Wonder Woman WAS quite amazing, wasn't it? I have heard good things about Batman, so perhaps I will try that as well.

Catwoman was...dreadful. Just awful. Winick is rapidly destroying any belief that I ever had in his inherent abilities as a writer...although he pretty much destroyed his credit with that gawdawful retcon of Ice's Origin.

(Man, I just can't seem to let that go.) And I like Catwoman as a character...but this was just...drek.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i didn't think Catwoman was dreadful. The art was very good and the writing...
I mean: it's all about what you were expecting. I didn't mind about reading an erotic comic book.
uswzb
(I found Batman pretty generic, I hated Nightwing and Batgirl)

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Shiraste said...

Yeah, the art was decent enough in Catwoman but the whole thing just came across as.. cheap, imo.

And if there's one thing I don't combine with the character Catwoman it is cheap in any which way. *shrug*

Suum cuique. :)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I don't mind Catwoman and Batman having sex. I do object to the fact that Selina was simply a BODY for most of the book. Heck, they didn't even show her face for a few pages...just body parts.

There was no romance here, no witty banter, no innuendo. It was just...sleezy.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger notintheface said...

I've been a Bat/Cat shipper since Adam West/Julie Newmar, but Winick's first issue just made me want to vomit.

I read Beetle#1. While it had some positives (Ig Guara's art, La Dama and Bianca) I didn't like Paco as a gang-banger or scuttling the space part. And those colors were way too dark and muted except for the suit.

I wish Bedard had gone the Resurrection Man route and kept the Giffen/Rogers origin intact but added some new wrinkle to the storyline. Did he HAVE to reinvent the wheel? If any of those changes had been IMPROVEMENTS, it would be different. But none of them were.

OTOH, is it possible that Ted is still ALIVE in some fashion, but not currently as Blue Beetle? (See: Ray Palmer in FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF SHADE)

Birds was strong in its own right. Only problem I have is pretending the previous 15 years never happened.

The best books this week were Wonder Woman, GLC, DCU Presents: Deadman and Nightwing. Also, I picked up Omac and loved it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home