Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Pre-Watchmen?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pre-Watchmen?

There has been quite the brouhaha on the message boards and blogs of our beloved Internet lately, about DC's
idea to come out with Prequels to Watchmen, the hallowed creation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.  Mostly, the attention has been negative.  Make that VERY negative.


Alan Moore doesn't seem to like DC very much.  I understand that he thought certain things would happen that didn't happen, and decided to never darken DC's doorstep again.  He has made no effort through the years to change his mind, which is rather a shame from a purely selfish point of view, because I rather like a lot of his stories.  On the other hand, it HAS been 25 years, and DC has apparently decided to mine that Watchmen Gold, and make these books.


I didn't read Watchmen when it first came out, I was busy getting married and birthing babies at that point in my life, and had drifted away from Comics for a number of years.  I didn't read it until quite a number of years later...and although I liked it...very much...it wasn't quite the touchstone in my life that it apparently was for so many people, who consider other artists and writers touching this story to be akin to blasphemy.  I don't really think that it quite that outrageous.

On the other hand, I am quite fond of any number of the artists involved, such as Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Connor, Adam Hughes, Andy Kubert and Lee Bermejo.  The writers aren't too shabby either, with Len Wein and Brian Azzarello.  Also J.M. Strascinski, but you can't have everything.  I've seen some of the preliminary artwork, and it appears to be pretty darned nice. 


Will they be great stories?  Maybe.  I don't know yet, but I'm certainly willing to give them a try.  Yes, Watchmen was a pretty grand story, but it isn't the end all or be all of my existance.  It's not like they made Hal Jordan go crazy and kill everybody or took away John's legs, or made Guy grow guns out of his arms and sprout tattoos or something!  That's just crazy!

4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Moore wants to control the future of what he creates, he shouldn't work with other people's characters. I'm sorry it makes him grumpy that other people are inspired by what he did to do more with the same material, and I'm sorry for him that he can't appreciate it.

– Jack of Spades

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Boosterrific said...

This is unfair to Alan Moore. His problem has always been that he feels that DC has never honored their agreements with him regarding payment for his work creating what became quite the cash cow for the company. Whether DC had a legal or ethical right to do so, you should't attack him for his resentment about feeling cheated.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger notintheface said...

Here's some more info from Heidi McDonald: http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/25/the-creators-position-viewed-through-the-lens-of-alan-moore/

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I understand that Alan Moore is still mad at DC...and probably with good reason. But still...it has been a very long time. Twenty-five years or so at least. I just want to read the new books and see if they are going to be any good. I like the people working on them, and want to give them a chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home