Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Stuff I Read but Forgot to Post About

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stuff I Read but Forgot to Post About

If that isn't a title aimed at grabbing you attention, then I don't know what is.  I've been quite lazy for the past few days, but here I am, just dying to give you reviews.  It was a pretty big week for me, which is always nice.

Batgirl #11

Ok, I guess.  I have to say that I think I'm going to drop this.  I like Barbara and I love Gail Simone, and I keep thinking I should be enjoying this more than I actually do.  It's just not grabbing me, and five minutes after I've read it, I've forgotten the plot.

Batman #11

Now this book on the other hand, has definitely gotten my attention.  I...I am actually starting to take an interest in Batman!  Who would have thought? 

We have the final knockdown, drag-out, utterly brutal fight between Batman and the Owl who calls himself his brother.  And brutal barely begins to describe it.  I enjoyed this, not because I am enamoured of brutality, but because for a change, it is a...fair fight.  Bruce doesn't have everything planned in advance, he isn't completely omnipotent, and HE CAN'T BREATHE IN OUTER SPACE!  At least not this Batman.  Quite frankly, he's getting his ass handed to him, and is even about to be sucked into a jets engine, which just makes me think of the Incredibles.  Fortunately, he was smart enough to plant a little bomb and blow up the Owl's jet pack.  Oh, and he blows up his nice big building.

No body found of course, although Bruce himself is in pretty bad shape.  Dick comes by to see how he's doing, and they have some rather nice bonding time.  Bruce has been investigating and he's pretty damned sure that Lincoln isn't actually his brother.  But Lincoln BELIEVES that he is.  Of course, if they could take a DNA test, that would certainly settle the matter, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The rest of the Talons are in deep freeze, and Bruce is going to rebuild the tower, and maybe...just maybe he's changed his way of thinking about Gotham City.  He's even grown a little bit, which can only be a good thing.

The art was beautiful, the story was incredible, and I am loving this book.

Batman & Robin #11

Oh...Damian, you didn't actually put a crowbar in Jason's bed did you?  Am I a bad bad person, because it made me snicker for a second?  The two of them do have a pleasant little exchange of blows and philosophies going on for a while, but since Damian waltzes off on a motorcycle with Jason's red Mask thingie on the front, I would have to give the honors to Damian.

He's such an obnoxious little runt...but God Help Me, I am actually enjoying his shenanigans.  Although I have to say that I can hardly wait for him to get schooled by Dick.

Meanwhile, the bunch of thugs who lost to Batman in various ways are out wreaking a serious amount of havok throughout the city.  There was one interesting bit of information, Gordon is surprised that Batman is running around when it is going to be daylight, because Bruce prefers to strike at night.  This strikes me as a useful piece of information.  Apparently you could rob Gotham City blind, provided you did it during the daytime!

Anyway, it's good loud fun, and Pat Gleason does a spectacular version of the Batmobile, in the middle of a bunch of bombs going off.  Not too serious, but fun.

Demon Knights #11

I'm wondering if I missed an issue or something?  All of the Knights with the exception of Madame Xanadu, aka Nimue, have been hit by a mysterious beam of light, which turns them into...other versions of themselves. or something.  She does manage to con Etrigan, who has a crap load of power, into helping them out, and they drink from the unpolluted well, and turn back into themselves.  Oh, and Arthur is there.  It is a little convoluted, but the art is pretty, and I like the characters, so what the heck...it's fun too.



Resurrection Man#11

I like Mitch's character, and I've liked this series, but it does have a tendency to get a bit repetitive.  He's managed to find the headquarters, he's attacked by the Body Doubles, he has a cool power, he dies, and gets another cool power, and still hasn't found out who he was, or how this all happened to him.  You could write the same review for practically all of the other issues.  The art is nice, and its not a BAD story...I just wish that it would move along a bit more. 

Although this book is one of the ones on the chopping block apparently, so I guess they figured what the hell.

The Shade #10

Damn it, but this was delightful.  Shade's obnoxious great grandson and his nasty cohort and their nasty little group have captured the Shade and siphoned away his shadow power, by using the power of the Egyptian deities, that the found and imprisoned a while back.  Shade keeps them monologuing, and bragging about their nefarious plans, not to mention, he talks to the poor imprisoned deities who are providing all the power for their plots and ploys. 

He also manages to start fading,which prompts  the bad guys to up the power meted out to the Deities, in order to keep him under wraps.  The problem is, that he keeps upping his own powers, so they keep giving more to the OTHER powers, until...and you can see where I am going with this, which is more than the Bad Guys did...the Egyptians suddenly have ALL their power back, and so does the Shade.

Teehee!

Swamp Thing#11

Well Arcane is back.  You knew that he would be eventually, and he wants to take Abby home, but she doesn't want to go, but Alex isn't dead, and woohoo,...neither is the Parliament of Trees!  Oh, and Animal  Man finally shows up.

I didn't read a whole lot of Swamp Thing back in the old days, but I did read some, and by Jiminy, I'm enjoying this.


I FINALLY got a hold of the first and second chapters of Saga...and now I can see what all the fuss was about.  This is a really good book.   The art is beautiful, and it's a good compelling story, and it's just a little bit different from the usual.  I don't really have a clue where it is going, but I am looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on the rest of the chapters...because this is a very very good book.



That was a lot of really pretty darned good reading this week!

6 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Pete said...

I ran into the EXACT same problem with Batgirl. I love Gail's work, but I just can't seem to get interested in this book for some reason.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm not the only one? I love her work, but for some reason, this is falling...flat. I presume because of editorial interference or something.

I really miss the Secret Six. They were a hoot and a half.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Same here, I used to happily pick up my sister's copy of pre-boot Birds of Prey by Gail, and continued to get and read her nu52 Batgirl. We both gave up on it.

I'm usually happy when a comic I read is cancelled from a money and space saving viewpoint. Secret Six is one of only two I really miss (the other being Young Justice)

Also, welcome to the Moore Swamp Thing. I started with an old edition of the first trade years ago when I was buying Watchmen for a weekend camping trip. The shop owver did a very Sesame Street salesman "Pssst..hey you" and told me I should try it too. The first one wasn't free, but hooked me none the less.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I've actually been enjoying the heck out of Swamp Thing. It has that Vertigo/horror thing going on, and the art has been gorgeous.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger notintheface said...

Maybe all Batgirl needs is a better artist.... uh, we may have to wait longer for that.

http://www.gothamspoilers.com/2012/06/confirmed-ed-benes-batgirls-new-regular.html

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's true that beautiful artwork can seduce me into staying with a book, and I have to admit that Batgirl's art has been...less than stellar. But still, I'm finding I just don't give a darn about Barbara lately...which really rather surprises me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home