Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What is going on with Hal?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, August 06, 2012

What is going on with Hal?

I have to admit...I don't know WHAT the heck is going on with Hal Jordan lately.  And that uncertainty, while it certainly sells comic books is simply driving me crazy.  Well...crazier. 

Hal and Sinestro have been mindbogglingly fabulous in Green Lantern lately, and I'm enjoying the heck out of that book.  I find him considerably LESS appealing in Justice League, which is a bit confusing.  I could understand Hal being callow and inexperienced when the book first started, since it was supposed to be following a different Time Line.  He was a very new young Green Lantern, so it would make sense that he was a bit out of his depth.  However, I do believe that the Justice League has been together for Five Years now, and yet...he doesn't seem to have changed at all. 

I could understand this, if Green Lantern and Justice League were being written by different authors, but Geoff Johns is penning both books.  Maybe Hal is just weird when he's around people who aren't Green Lanterns?  Some people are perfectly fine with their co-workers, and socially inept with strangers.  Except that Hal has never been written as being socially inept, in fact, quite the opposite.  He was always portrayed as being quite the charmer.  Certainly he has always been a bit over-confident, even arrogant, but at least he was able to back it up.  And in Green Lantern, he is STILL being portrayed that way.  In Justice League however, he seems to have been voted the oaf. 

What is really making me uneasy however, is that in the NEW books coming out, there is a NEW Green Lantern...and no mention of either Hal or Sinestro.  Hal drives me nuts sometimes, but I AM extremely fond of him.  And God help me, I'm becoming quite enamoured of Sinestro as well.  He's a Rogue, but a darned interesting Rogue. 

I can't believe that Geoff Johns went to all the trouble of resurrecting Hal...and resurrecting him MAGNIFICENTLY...only to kill him off again after a few years.  Because let me tell you, I am getting really really sick and tired of killing off perfectly good characters.  If you don't want to use them...fine.  Don't use them.  But don't remove them from the game, because down the road someone else might have a use for them.  But I digress. 

What DOES interest me, is that all of a sudden, Guy seems to be getting a lot of the limelight.  The limelight that used to be occupied exclusively by Hal.  And since I am a wholehearted Guy Fan...this can only be a Good Thing. 

I think.  God knows what they are going to be doing to him.  I do know that a new origin story has been hinted at, and after the hatchet job that was done on Ice, I am extremely apprehensive.  But Guy's ascendancy is a story for another day. 
Photobucket

I guess what I am saying is...For the Love of God, please don't kill Hal again!  Or Sinestro.  I don't mind if you want to off the Guardians, with the exception of Ganthet and maybe Sayd, because they really are just terrible...but Not Hal!

Thank you.

3 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I really can't see them killing Hal off again. Not after all the HEAT protesting and the trouble of bringing him back. But yeah, it's awful when writers can't get your favorite characters right. Or when you're worried what their do with them in the future.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It does seem weird that they might kill him off again...but then a LOT of what DC and Marvel do, strikes me as incredibly weird.

I love the way that Hal and Sinestro are interacting in Green Lantern. I just find the way that Hal is acting in JLA is...off.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

I should've used that Hal facepalm shot in my final "Loading Up On Karb" post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home