Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What About Parallax?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What About Parallax?

Like a dog worrying a bone, I just can't seem to leave this topic alone.  In the NEW DC 52, did the whole Parallax thing with Hal even happen?  Was there time for it to happen?  What about Sinestro?  Did he get fired, get imprisoned, get killed, and then come back, and start the Sinestro Corps?  He must have actually done the Sinestro Corps, because they are still using the yellow rings.  This whole "five Year Continuity" deal, is awfully compressed.  I don't see how any of them would have time to eat or sleep. 

Did Guy ever use the yellow ring?  I would have to assume that the whole Warrior/Vuldarian phase of his life is completely out of the picture, which is rather a shame, because as crazy as it all was...I really really liked what Beau Smith did with him during that entire era. 

I can also assume that the bit with Kyle being the torchbearer is out?  Or in?  Did he save the Guardians by bringing them all back as children?  Perhaps that would explain their current state of nastiness...they are all basically thirteen?  I've HAD teenagers!  Your typical thirteen-year old, could give Lex Luthor a run for his money! 

There is no Kari Limbo for Hal and Guy to fight over.  There is no betrayal of Guy by Hal.  No coma.  No craziness.  But without Parallax, how did Hal come back and how did all of the different colored rings all come to be? 

I have to admit to being left just a little bit cold by the state of the rivalry between Guy and Hal as told by the recent issue of Green Lantern Corps.  It all seems...so tepid.  Granted, they are two alpha males, and I can see a certain puffing up of chests and sizing each other up.  But it lacks the grandeur of the old days.  Hal was arrogant, and frequently clueless, I still don't think to this day that he has any idea of how deeply he hurt Guy.  So Guy's feelings or resentment, and bitterness must be gone too, as well as his incredible capacity for forgiveness.  And considering that Hal was also his substitute for his dead older brother Mace, I rather miss that dynamic as well. 

We are getting decent stories.  I'm quite interested in seeing the Guardians get what is coming to them.  But for the life of me, I can't get too excited, because I'm not sure that in a year or two, these events will even count.  The whole vibrant, colorful, chaotic, and yes, messy heart of DC comics seems to have been drained away.  The new books are good for the most part...some of them are even very good.  But it has all been so...sanitized.

But I digress.

I can't help wondering if Parallax, who was on the loose, last time I checked, is responsible for this whole disaster with the Guardians and their Third Army.  Because it has been implied for quite a while, that the Guardians are simply rotten with fear.  And that's no way to run the Universe! 

4 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

In most cases I can just go "yeah it's comics so not much time passed." But when it's something that needs for a number of years to have happen--like the different Robins or Damian being ten--then I get annoyed. For now I think it's best to ignore the time limit because a lot of it isn't being used in other books anyway.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

"But for the life of me, I can't get too excited, because I'm not sure that in a year or two, these events will even count."

I think this is affecting me pretty strongly. I just can't get worked up over much of the New 52, because I can't shake the feeling that eventually it will get wiped out. It's all like a big extended Age of Apocalypse (to make a Marvel reference)to me. I suspect a lot of other people feel that way too. It's hard to invest when the rug keeps getting pulled out from under you (to mix my metaphors).

The five year thing doesn't bother me as much, because I'm used to compressed comic time, I guess. I've always been happy to selectively ignore storylines that don't fit or make sense.

I don't miss the Vuldarian thing, because I really didn't like it getting shoehorned in there. I was happier with Guy using Sinestro's ring. But hey, it's all water under the bridge now.

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently Rayner WAS the torchbearer in the New 52 reality. Who knew? But then why would there be a ring looking for rayner? how long where the Corps gone? Questions!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yes, they have acknowledged that Kyle was their formerly beloved Torchbearer. Which just goes to prove how the Guardians are miserable ungrateful jackasses.

So...things are supposed to be simpler now. But not as exciting, that's for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home