Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Here's a Thought

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Here's a Thought

Sometimes, I just like to sit and think weird thoughts about my comics.  Am I alone in this, or do we all do it?  Trying to untangle plotlines, revamps, retcons, and God knows what else.

In the new DC Universe, Guy Gardner's origin has been...drastically altered.  His Mom is not in sight, his Father is alive, and he's acquired a younger sister, which simply boggles my mind.  He still has an older brother, but it isn't Mace, it's Gerard.  He still doesn't get along with his Dad, but it is for completely different reasons, as his Dad is no longer a struggling blue-collar Dock Worker, but a retired Baltimore Policeman. His new brother and sister are also cops,and Guy was supposed to be a cop, but apparently didn't make it or something, which I find to be patently absurd.  So that's why his Dad thinks he's a screw-up. 

Right.

Others pointed out, and I completely agree, that the new backstory sounded a heck of a lot like that of the O'Dares' over in Opal City.  A whole family of red-haired super cops, with a black sheep.  And I do remember reading at one point that Opal City was supposed to be set near to Baltimore.  So this got my twisted little brain thinking.

Peggy Louise Gardner, the ineffable Mother of the Gardner family is missing, but I hope will eventually be back, when DC comes to their senses and returns my beloved continuity.  So...if we are going to be entertaining retcons...why not make Peggy an O'Dare?  They could all be Guy's cousins!  Red hair!  It could work!  Besides, although there are plenty of immediate family members in the comic book world, I can't remember seeing a whole lot of cousins, with the possible exception of Superman and Supergirl.  And Peej of course, but that also calls in the whole Alternate Universe stuff. 

I have to say that I miss Guy's wretched violent horrible childhood, because it is such a fabulous reason for his whole personality, not to mention his relationships with his fellow Lanterns.  And I want Mace back, because frankly, Mace is cool.  And his evil old goat of a father, Roland, instead of his current not-so-evil-only-curmudgeounly-father.  But I think that making Peggy Louise an O'Dare would be something that could be done without destroying the Time-Space Continuom.

Or maybe I just think waaaay too much about my comics.
guy's mom

But how could they have possibly put this woman on the shelf?

5 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm not reading the current GL books, but maybe Guy couldn't be a cop because he failed the psych test? ;)

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well...that would have made sense in the OLD continuity, when he was basically brain-dead...but the whole coma thing doesn't seem to have happened in the NEW DC.

Nothing like taking away all of his characterization and motivations, and history in one fell swoop!

Dang.

It's hinted at in the book that he accidentally shot someone, or backup wasn't called, or some sort of screw-up, which is why his NEW Dad is so mad at him. Frankly, I call that pretty feeble.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I was thinking along the lines of an attitude problem making him fail the psych test, ie no respect for authority figures, that sort of thing. Did they take that out of his personality?

I was never the biggest GL fan, but I enjoyed the books. Seems that there's nothing to interest me in the GL titles now.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I think about stuff like this all the time. It's half the reason I started a blog (the other half being to rant about stories that made me mad).

I'm not really familiar with the O'Dares, but since I'm guessing they're mostly absent in the nu52, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Calvin, that's the best reasons for starting a blog! I've certainly done my share of wild-eyed ranting, and pondering various flights of fancy.

What the heck...it keeps us off the streets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home