Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern #16

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 25, 2013

Green Lantern #16

You know, Simon Baz may be on the cover, but we all know who the hero of this issue REALLy is.  And that's Bd'g   Man I love that Squirrel!  He may not have a bow tie, but he's alright in my book.

And quite frankly, Simon is damned lucky that Bd'g shows up, or else his and that FBI agent's tails would have been toast.  Literally.  Bd'g manages to show Simon how NOT to act, and where to find his battery, and how to charge it.  Simon does insist on keeping that stupid gun.  I can understand some caution, but seriously, I'm beginning to wonder about his actual willpower.

Bd'g also shows him how to access the message in the ring, so we get both Hal's and Sinestro's stories, not to mention the warning about how the Guardians are going bonkers, news that doesn't seem to surprise Bd'g all that much.  But still, it is good information for Simon to have.  I also had to snicker just a little bit at Sinestro's confidence that Arkillo is still his loyal henchman, when we've all learned from the New Guardians book, that Arkillo thinks that Sinestro is a traitor to the cause of Fear.  It should be really interesting when these two get together.

So, after having the Alien Squirrel tell him how to be a Green Lantern, Simon has one more thing to do, and that is to go to the hospital where his brother is in a coma.  Then, even though it is supposed to be impossible, Simon, through pure strength of will...performs the impossible, and happiness and joy and astonishment ensue.  I'm not competely sure that I am buying this, actually.  I haven't seen a single thing that Simon has done yet that hints that he has this much power.

Fortunately, the television was on, and Bd'g sees that Guy Gardner is in BIG trouble, and off they go to the rescue.  Damn, I love that Squirrel!

And finally, we have our obligatory peek at Hal and Sinstro who are still stumbling around Death City.  The cloaked figure...is not Katma Tui.  Dang it!  But Tomar Re is a suitable substitute, and naturally, he and all the other dead people needs Hal's help.

Oh Hal.

The art as usual, by Doug Mahnke is stunning, and the coloring is quite nice too, especially with the contrast between the light and glowing greens and the dull tones of the Dead Zone.  At least something is finally happening in this book, as we speed towards the climax of the whole Evil Guardian/Rise of the Third Army story...and progress is a good thing.


8 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sally P, I love your blog, but I just wanted to point out that you praised the art of Doug Moench. I do believe you meant Doug Mahnke. I really do read your blog all the time and I hope you don't think I'm being snotty, just tryin' to help. Think I'll go read some Moench Moon Knight now...

Sincerely, Jeff S.

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Mike Finlay said...

I read that as "all we've learned from New Guardians is..." and I thought "You can say that again Sally."

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Aaaaggh! I meant Doug Mahnke! I will fix it immediatley...and thank you!


And Mike...hee hee.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

All fixed! And I also spelled immediately incorrectly in my previous answer. I am just a wreck today.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be that Baz's ability to heal his brother points to a difference in kind rather than amount of power. Not everything is a "MOAR POWAH!" kind of solution.

– Jack of Spades

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Jack, I don't know how to explain it. Is his feat merely a case of the writer trying to elevate a new character at the expense of the old? Hence, Bd'g's wondering that "even" Hal Jordan couldn't do that.

On the other hand, Kyle could...and did.

Or is it because of the fact that Simon's ring is a combination of both Hal's and Sinestro's?

I don't really know.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's worthwhile to try to distinguish the Lanterns; Johns tried that back in Rebirth. I've long been of the opinion that Guy's will is stronger than Hal's, but he's less innovative in its employment; Kyle's the most creative, but not in Hal/Guy's league in sheer power, while John makes up in construct efficiency what he lacks in power. But that's mostly a pre-Rebirth take on things.

One of the things I liked about the Green Lantern: Emerald Knights origin of the Corps was that it appeared constructs were a surprise even to the Guardians. I'd like to see the creative team take that a step further, with each Lantern having his own strengths and weaknesses within the general structure of the power ring's powers. Back in the days when Kilowog, Salaak, and Ch'p were part of the Green Lantern Corps of Earth we saw that, with Kilowog ringing up most of the fancy high-tech hardware the team used and Ch'p making very creative use of forest-themed constructs.

– Jack of Spades

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I like how you think, my dear. It would indeed be wonderful to see Lanterns OTHER than the Earth Lanterns doing fabulous and innovative things with their rings. It only makes sense that each individual Lantern should have his or her own strengths and weaknesses.

Hal has focus, but not a lot of imagination, while Kyle is the opposite. I agree that Guy may have the most willpower, I've always loved that description that his ring is always sparking because he just can't control his own willpower. John would be the most methodical and logical. Kilowog's constructs are supposed to be the only ones that actually make a sound, although I am sure that Rot Lop Fan can also perform that particular feat.

This is why I wish that they would bring Green Lantern Quarterly back, so that we could read stories with other Lanterns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home