Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Review Time!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 04, 2013

Review Time!

For what was going to be a fairly bleak week, it actually turned out to be pretty good. 

Batman Inc. #6

I only pick this up on occasion, but I simply could not resist the charms of the Bat Cow...Best New Character of the Year!  Nevertheless, I don't think it is very wise of Bruce and Talia to keep fighting in front of the children.  What will the neighbors think!

Of course, I think that Talia is completely off of her rocker anyway.  Apparently while I wasn't reading this, all of the other Batpeople have been rounded up and are in dire dire straights.  Meanwhile the various Robins and former Robins, and Alfred are gathered together watching all of this.  I don't confess to knowing what is going on at all.  I thought Alfred had been kidnapped by the Joker? 

But Damian's new kitty was cute...he looks as though he'd be perfect for a friend for Dex-starr. 

End result...I don't have a clue what is going on, but it sure was fun to read anyway.


The Flash #15

I cannot begin to tell you all how incredibly gorgeous this book is.  It's clean and easy to read, the the whole method of stretching out the feeling of the Speed Force is simply breathtaking. 

Barry is still fighting Gorillas.  Somehow Grodd has managed to tap into the Speed force too, and the apparent death of Barry means that he's weaker now.  But still up for some fighting.  The Rogues continue to do their part.  I love the Rogues. 

All in all, a heck of a book.  I always look forward to this.  I like Barry so much more in his own book than in the Justice League, where he sounds more like Wally.  I love Wally and I miss Wally, but Barry isn't Wally, so it is a bit annoying.

Jonah Hex #15

Well, Hyde manages to infect Doctor Arkham with the evil potion, and he beats the crap out of Jonah, who continues to fight despite suffering defenestration and a broken leg.  Basically he tells the sawbones to rub some dirt in it, he's got some monsters to kill.  A hot nurse is supposed to be looking after him.

There was a lot of action of course, but I can't help but yearn for the wide open spaces of the Old West.  I find Gotham to be a tad claustrophobic...something that I feel Jonah shares as well. 


Justice League Dark #15

I continue to find this fairly interesting.  The artwork is always very pretty.  Zatanna and Tim Hunter have been whisked off to another dimension or world or something, and Magic is acting very strangely there.  They do manage to find a way to follow them, and Magic continues to do weird things to Frankenstein and poor Black Orchid, not to mention making Deadman alive again.  At least...momentarily.

With the ending of Hellblazer, this is going to be the only way that I can read about John Constantine.  It's a bit depressing... I love Cosntantine, but I love him best as his foul-mouthed, chainsmoking double-crossing OLD self in London. 

*sigh*

And finally, after about a month or more, my beloved Comic Book Store managed to get me a copy of the new Fables book, Werewolves of the Heartland, featuring none other than Bigby Wolf.  My Comic Book Store always manages to come through for me!

It takes place in the fairly recent past, during all the kerfuffle with the Dark Man, as Bigby is searching for another location for Fabletown, and happens across a hamlet in Iowa named Story Town.  In addition to sounding just right, it also turns out that Bluebeard had quite the financial interest in the place, all of which makes it interesting to the former sheriff. 

Turns out that the place is solely inhabited by werewolves.  That's something you don't see everyday!  And it also turns out that Bigby himself is revered as a God among them, and that he had something to do with their very creation, as an old buddy of his from World War II, was killed trying to save him from the Nazis at the Frankenstein castle, and....well, it's complicated.  But fun. 

Plus there is a whole lot of male nudity, albeit displayed in a most tasteful manner.  I haven't seen that many bare boy behinds in quite a while!  There are girls too, but that doesn't float my boat quite as much, although it may for some people.  Lots of blood too.  This is a pretty  violent book!  But pretty good nevertheless. 

So, not a bad start to the New Year.

5 Comments:

At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Michael Finlay said...

I think Batman Inc. runs separate from this new 52 timeline, or perhaps inside at a different pace/time frame. But when it regards anything DC and Grant Morrison, I think they just say "Do what you want, it doesn't have to follow along with the other books. We know it won't make sense, but you're Grant Morrison.".

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well...he IS Grant Morrison! In a lot of ways I rather wish that DC would let all of the writers just do their own thing, and not have to worry about bowing before the editorial fiat and working inside the straight jacket that is the new 52 Universe.

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

I wish the writers had free reign too. *grumble grumble grumble*

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It WOULD be nice, Saranga, wouldn't it? Gosh, I can remember the days when a writer and an artist would tell stories about their very own book's characters, and NOT have to tie into the multi-multi-book crossovers! What a concept!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It WOULD be nice, Saranga, wouldn't it? Gosh, I can remember the days when a writer and an artist would tell stories about their very own book's characters, and NOT have to tie into the multi-multi-book crossovers! What a concept!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home