Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Slightly Anxious

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, June 03, 2013

Slightly Anxious

Back from vacation, back to work, and now I am worrying about the future of the Green Lanterns.  Heck, I'm a bit in a tizzy about how things are going at DC period.  They don't seem to be treating their writers very well lately.  I don't know if that is Dan Didio's fault, or Bob Harras's fault, or if there are other corporate muck-a-mucks involved, but I DO know that a heck of a lot of awfully good writers are apparently fed up and then some. 

It is not encouraging. 

Not that Marvel can necessarily hold their heads up high either.  There are some good books coming out, and I am wandering around their aisles, but I'm pretty burned out on Avengers and X-Men lately, although Hawkeye has been fun, and Young Avengers is a hoot.  Still miss Nextwave however. 

But still...I have always known that Geoff Johns was going to be there on Green Lanterns.  Except that he has told his tale, and now it's over, and I'm a little on the terrified side.  Hal is back in the bosom of the Corps, and all of the members who were mad at him, are pretty much dead now.  John is going to be the star of Green Lantern Corps, which is fine, I like John, and he has been neglected for too long.  Simon Baz is apparently going to mostly be hanging out with the Justice League, which actually seems like a good idea...since the other Earth Lanterns are pretty busy.

But where does that leave Guy?   I know that he is supposed to be in the Red Lanterns now, but quite frankly, I simply cannot STAND the Red Lanterns.  It was an interesting concept for a little while, but it seems to me, that it has outlived its novelty...and purpose.  And yes, Guy WAS a Red Lantern, and it was a pretty fabulous story, but then he was cured, which was good, because he HATED being a Red Lantern, and was extremely thankful to be rid of it. 

Which is something that I wonder about whether or not the new writers even are going to take into consideration.  Plus he's not the old brain-dead Guy either.  So, you can understand my feelings of trepidation. 
 photo jliguysback_zps159b1d32.jpg

Guy is back, and he should be Green.

6 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Randy Jackson said...

If Razor existed in the DCU, perhaps he and Guy could team up on a planet-hopping trek to find the universe. Maybe G'nort could go with them too.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

Guy in the Red Lanterns is a really jarring transition. Guy's not known for rage, and it really doesn't work, unless, God forbid, they slaughter his family or something to make him "fit" to be a Red Lantern (just saying that scares me). He actually works better as a Yellow (back to the Warrior days), but guess that's out.

My hope is that they move the Red Corps away from the rage/spitting blood (which has always been stupid, by the way) to more of an "anger" focus, which would fit Guy better. In other words, yeah, handle it more like Razor and the Red Corps from GL: The Animated Series.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Shiraste said...

While I am not a fan of this move I am willing to wait and see what the reasons for his transition to the Red Lanterns is.

Once that is (hopefully) reasonably explained we might be able to see for how long he will be a Red.
Maybe he pulls them down from the inside. Now that would be fun.

While the failure to retain names among the DC writers is a bit troubling and probably has to do with the editing - or lack thereof - it may not be all bad. It is just possible they hit pay dirt with an unknown writer. How would Saint Walker put it? "All will be well"

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm HOPING that all will be well...but I am a bit of a nervous Nellie sometimes.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. They pretty much seem to have done away with the whole spitting blood and growling anyway, which is a good thing.

I did like Razor from the Green Lantern cartoon...he was developing quite the dry sense of humor towards the end!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I feel your pain. I go through the same time every time a new writer gets on a book or someone who's previous work I don't like takes over. Sometimes it turns out like I dread and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

Though to be fair it might be hard for anyone to follow up Johns' work. I hope all goes well for all the lanterns and it's a enjoyable read.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

"Pleasantly surprised" would be a very very good thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home