Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Forever Evil?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, October 04, 2013

Forever Evil?

There was something that was bugging me about the latest issue of the latest interminable Cross-over, Forever Evil.  Leaving aside the fact that I find it to be fairly dull, this particular page drove me nuts.

 photo foreverevil2-3gxkr6_zps101cd862.jpg

Evil little female Atom is out with her boyfriend, the evil Flash, running about causing mahem galore.  Just for the fun of it apparently.  And she decides to leap into Cassie's ( I think) mouth. 

Why? 

She wasn't even all that small, she was certainly large enough that Cassie had to open her mouth wide.  Why didn't Cassie or whomever it was...simply bite her in two?  Or at least nibble of of her legs off?  Or swallow her?  Or spit on her?  

If something the size of a small Barbie doll tried to climb into my mouth, I wouldn't be just standing around, letting it/her do evil things to my tongue.  Granted, she could be a bit on the crunchy side, but hey. 

When Guy inhaled Von Daggle, way back when, Daggle was the size of a bacterium, and there wasn't really anything that Guy could do about it.  It was a sneaky, insidious and brilliant attack.  Same thing with Despotillis and how Leezil Pon got in there to fight it off.  Really, some pretty terrible things always seem to happen to Guy. 

There was a time that the Wasp flew into a bad guy's ear...and then whistled, which I thought was both clever and nasty.  She's also lucky he didn't sick his finger into his ear and squish her.

Does Atomica have super strength or something?  Why doesn't someone just grab her and squish HER?

Any Thoughts?

8 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I don't have this issue but here's what I think of it just by guessing. I think Atomica was getting bigger as she was leaving. I think the art could of/should of been done differently but maybe she did something so Cassie couldn't do anything to her. Maybe she started a gag release so Cassie would open her mouth there and was about to throw up.

If she broke the jaw (likely didn't) there wouldn't be much Cassie could do. Are Atoms supposed to be fast when they move? I've never been clear on that.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I guess that is possible, although the other picture of her going into Cassie's mouth, she was pretty big there too.

So, it could just be the art. But I still would have grabbed her or chomped her or something.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past Finch to simply fail to convey important information, but I've never known Atoms to be super-fast, unless they shrank down enough to ride on a photon, or traveled through phone wires. I guess Atomika could have hitched a ride on some UV wave and ridden than through the first couple of layers of Wonder Girl's skin. Wouldn't be much you could do about that. Unless invulnerability means you can't tan. Hmm.

I'm more confused by what Jonny Quick did to Bart. He vibrated him until he traveled back to the future against his will? I feel like that should be a lot harder to do than he's making it look.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Boosterrific said...

I'm not reading these comics, so I don't know what Atomica can do, but if she has the same powers as Ray Palmer, she keeps her full-sized strength when she shrinks (by manipulating her molecular density). It would be harder to bite or squish her than you might expect.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Plus the fact that I would be a bit queasy trying to bite something that was wriggling. Still, she looks awfully large there.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

This looks like what I call "reverse-writing." It's when you start with an image you think will look "kewl" and then write something to get to that point. It happens a LOT in comics these days, I think, but it's got a long history. Think of all the covers that were created in the Silver Age and then stories written from them.

Bottom line, even if Cassie didn't bite down, she should have been able (and extremely likely) to super-strength spit Atomica into a solid object. There's a reason Ray Palmer was never a major player -- those powers don't really lend themselves to taking down demi-gods or -goddesses (in this case).

Another sin to lay at the feet of Forever Evil -- I liked Grant Morrison's reboot of the Crime Syndicate. This version leaves me utterly indifferent.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said...


Hey that's right...Cassie is supposed to have powers too...right?
You wouldn't know that from this book.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous r duncan said...

The last two words of your post hold the key. "Any thoughts?" Thinking is wasted on these stories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home