Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Stuff I Bought

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Stuff I Bought

As you can see from the title of this entry, I have more or less given up.  This was something of a small week for me anyway.  But I can rejoice in the fact that the month with the fancy-ass covers is finally over, and we can actually get back to reading about the heroes.  It isn't that I don't like Villains, they are after all absolutely necessary for the telling of any tale...but for the most part, they are awfully one-dimensional.  Not all of them of course.  Gail Simone worked wonders with the Secret Six, and I'd kill to have them back.  I like the Rogues, I like Sinestro, and I like the Riddler.  Oh and Carface.  He only showed up for three panels, but gosh, he was adorable.

But one of the things that I will be forever grateful for, is that they DIDN'T bring in the Joker for this latest brouhaha.  God, I am sick of the Joker.  And the Joker's Daughter doesn't do anything for me either.  I had the opportunity to get her book, with the lenticular cover, and I passed it up, because apparently the story was terrible, and I don't care to speculate. 

But enough ranting.

Batman: Black & White #1 & #2

I hadn't been planning to pick this up, because I don't really care for Batman all that much...but the word on the streets was mostly favorable, so I figured what the heck.  And gosh, having Neal Adams, and Chris Samnee, J.G. Jones, Steranko and Rafael Albuquerque was just what the doctor ordered.  Oh, and there were some nice writers too...but let me be frank, the art was what I was after, and it was very nice.

Forever Evil #2

Well...more stuff happened.  Lex Luthor decides to do something, and demonstrates that he is still pretty nasty.  Everyone else is pretty nasty too.  The Teen Titans, decide that they should do something, but they aren't very optimistic about it. Bart gets sent back to the future apparently. 

The Evil Justice League is just...so...EVIL!  There isn't a single redeeming feature about them, which I suppose is the point, but it makes for rather tedious reading.  Oh, and Batman shows up.  Pretty much...Meh.

Fairest #20

I have been enjoying this book.  The latest story with Prince Charming has been pretty darned good, and the art has been pretty.  Things more or less wrap up with this issue,and Charming and Nalayani decide to head back to Fabletown, which should be interesting with Prince Brandish and Snow White's situation.  Hope Charming gets his eye back.  Although he would look pretty dashing with an eye-patch.  Good Stuff!

Green Lantern #24

This lost a bit of momentum with the Villains month, and it struggles a bit to get back on track.  Hal is dithering, and issuing a bunch of peremptory orders, to Salaak, to get the batteries back up and running.  If it was that easy Hal, don't you think Salaak would have DONE that by now?

Hal also wonders what the heck happened to Carol, and exactly WHY is she running around with Kyle?  And then, fortuitously,  Kyle, and Carol and all the new Guardians show up on Oa, and explain that they are all in a lot of trouble.  They tell Hal about Relic, and that St. Walker is the only Blue Lantern left.  I was happy to learn that, because I like St. Walker.   Still upset about Warth though.

It dawns on Hal for a brief moment that with all but one of the Blue Lanterns extinguished, that he has truly hung Guy out to dry.  John catches him mumbling Guy's name and looks askance, but there isn't time to go into it, as Relic shows up, and things start to hit the fan.  Relic then proceeds to calmly tell them that he is taking their power, so that they don't destroy this universe, and Hal reacts...well, pretty much as you would expect him to.

And then Relic sucks the main Power Battery dry, which means that Oa is going to blow up.

Dang.

I liked this...naturally.  But I don't really like Relic all that much, and the new Guardians seem awfully ineffectual.  The old Guardians were bastards, but they would have blown up Relic by now.

And that was that.  Not a terrible week, but not anything too spectacular either.  I'm hoping that this whole Villains all the Time thing wraps up soon, because I am finding it to be quite tedious.

3 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Fairest was wonderful. I didn't get any other DC/Vertigo titles. Everything else I bought were from other publishers. Right now, I think I get most of my comics from Image and Dynamite.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

"Tedious" perfectly sums up Forever Evil. "Monotonous" works, too. It's utterly one-note. Everybody is competing to show how awful they can be, and it makes me ... yawn.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Fairest really was pretty good. I've always rather liked Charming. I didn't really enjoy the Rapunzel arc, but this really was great.

Bryan, I am SO in agreement with you. One-Note describes it pretty well. An entire cross-over of nasty people competing to be nastier, is not really my cup of tea. There is already too much of that on "reality" television.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home