Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Umm...

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, October 07, 2013

Umm...

As you can see from my title, I have absolutely nothing really to say...but naturally, I am going to say it anyway.  I'm feeling a little let-down by my comics lately.  I WANT to like them, but they've been pretty mediocre.  There are a few exceptions of course, but I seem to have a huge case of the blahs.

I was all excited about the new book coming out with the future JLA, written by Giffen and DeMatteis, and drawn by Kevin Maguire.  Then they booted Maguire,and I don't even want to try it now.  The whole Forever Evil crossover has been tedious beyond measure.  Have Bad Guys show how Bad they are by running up huge anonymous body counts is just ridiculous.  Lex Luthor is suddenly getting into Joker territory, by killing off random employees and people willy-nilly.  Yes, Lex is BAD.  I already know that. 

Frankly, I like the villains, who have a code of honor.  Villains like Sinestro who actually thinks that he IS a hero.  The Rogues like to rob banks, but they don't just up and murder people.  I like my villains with a bit of flair, a bit of dash, and even sometimes a touch of pathos.  They don't have to be irredeemable. Well, some of them do, I don't think Darkseid is going to win any awards for his humanity, but just unrelenting evil...villainy for the sake of villainy...is boring.

Maybe it is because it is Monday.  Or because it is windy and rainy, and gloomy after a couple of weeks of beautiful weather...but I am feeling fairly listless about my books. 

Pooh.

9 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

And that's a big part of why I started reading a lot of non-superhero titles and comics from companies that aren't DC.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank goodness for Saga. I am seriously thinking of taking up Atomic Robo and Action Philosophers for the same reason.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

If you like gritty, without humor, I highly recommend Lazarus. And I'm really enjoying Astro City. K also love a lot of what Dynamite has.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thanks, Shelley. I get so caught up in Superheroes, that I forget that there are a lot of really fabulous other genres of books out there.

Westerns. Dang, I love westerns.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I know. I hate that DC's superhero titles suck bigtime right now. I read those things for over 50 years, darn it! ;)

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It IS frustrating! I want them to Be Good!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I know, I know. We should start a support group: the Pre-DC52 Superhero Lovers. ;)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Yeah, I've been mainly getting things in trade lately like Demon Knights, JLD, and a couple others. In the normal ongoing titles I collect the quality is down and I'm waiting for something to change/improve. I'm still waiting for Forever Evil 2 but I liked 1 okay. Mainly because the characters were written like they were preboot.

Yeah the bad guy thing is cliché but I rather them kill off anonymous characters than pointlessly murdering regulars. The TT became a slaughter house last time the latter happened.

The baddies you can feel for are the best in my opinion.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

That's actually a good point, Erin. I too prefer to have the poor anonymous schlubs killed off as opposed to anyone that I know...but still...I'm not that excited about the ever-mounting body count, just to show that Bad Guy "A" is a serious threat.

We already KNOW that Lex Luthor is a serious threat. Seriously, why the hell would anyone work for this guy? And what is the police department doing about all of these random "accidents"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home