Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I Hate Black Friday

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, November 25, 2013

I Hate Black Friday

Let me just be clear, that I love to have the Friday after Thanksgiving off, and to just wallow around at home, not to mention eating turkey sandwiches.  I do not however...go shopping.  Ever.  Well, I did it once about 28 years ago, with my Mother, and we both vowed to never ever do that again.  Besides, with the exception of a few minor things, my Christmas shopping is already done. 

What I cannot believe is the number of stores that are now opening up on Thanksgiving.  And not just in the evening, but in the Morning!  Of Thanksgiving.  Because waiting an extra 24 hours for that cheap DVD player will somehow ruin your life. 

Want to know what can ruin your life?  Not being able to have Thanksgiving, that's what! 

Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday.  A lovely dinner, with my family, a fire in the fireplace, and pie.  Lots and lots of pie.  And no presents, so no pressure.  Just fun.  I adore Thanksgiving.  And there is no way on God's Green Earth, that I am going shopping.  And I detest the fact that the poor clerks in the stores have to miss THEIR Thanksgiving.  I would really doubt that the owners or the CEO's or high Muckety-Mucks of Sears or Best Buy are manning the cash registers.  I would imagine that they are at home.  Having Thanksgiving. 

This of course leads to the next step.  Being open on Christmas.  Because if you can squeeze in a few more gift purchases, you will honor the Season!  Which apparently is so that Target and Walmart can post a bigger profit!  That's the TRUE Meaning of Christmas! 

I will not be going to Wal-Mart, or Sears or Penney's or Target or Best Buy or Old Navy.  I truly wish that the poor sales clerks didn't have to go either.

Other than that...have a Happy Thanksgiving!

8 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I have not done any Christmas shopping yet, but I don't intend to go anywhere on Friday (except for a run in the morning). I'll wait to shop in the morning on some nondescript midweek day.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Much the wisest choice, Calvin. You stand a much better chance of making it out of the store in one piece.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

We are much in the same page about this. While we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in here, the sales craze seems now to be international. People goes wild buying stuff they don't need with money they don't have. It's chaotic. And the same thing happens with Christmas and the extensive shopping. Not only stores staying open at ridiculous hours, but people going overboard with the buying.

January is a different story. A lot of people start selling their stuff back or go to these places (I don't know how they're called in English), where you give your stuff and they loan you money.

Overall, irrational consumerism is sad.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Irrational Consumerism, is a wonderful description.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Yeah I'm not a fan of it either. I remember last year--which I think was when it started (?)-- someone I knew said she felt guilty for working. Like she had sold out her family time to make a few extra bucks.

I already got a big chunk of my shopping done but I still have a little more to do. I have no plans to shop then. Even if I did it wouldn't be for the big deals ie. TVs. It also helps that the only people left on my list want particular things found in stores not opened then.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm with you, Erin. I really really hate all the crowds, and I really really love Thanksgiving.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger TheUUShadow said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely Sally, hope you enjoy It!

I'm A Hotel Night Auditor so I'm working Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Eve this year. But I've pretty much done that since 1989 and I kinda like the peace & quiet. But I'm a single gay guy which makes a difference.

I wholeheartedly agree that the majority of people deserve a few GUARANTEED days off a year to spend with loved ones. That crap will still be on the shelves tomorrow.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

The crap will indeed be there. Shadow, I hope that you have a nice quiet restful evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home