Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Computerish-sort of Question

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, April 07, 2014

Computerish-sort of Question

I have a bit of a puzzler, that I thought I would throw out to all of you.  Most of you are FAR more "tech" saavy than I am.  At the recent NETSA Trade show, we were at the post-dinner auction, raising money for our Scholarship programs, where I wound up bidding for...and winning...a Microsoft Surface Tablet thingie. 

It...it's kind've cool, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it.  I guess it's a computer too, can I go on-line and do blogging with it?  Keep in mind that I do not possess a Smartphone, and have barely mastered the art of finger-swiping.  I do have a cellphone, but it is the flip kind with the little pull-out keyboard which is probably considered hopelessly antique by now. 

Computers are Not My Thing.

However, since Windows keeps making ominous noises about stopping all the updates, and insinuating that my trusty old PC will probably explode in a week or so, would this  new Tablet thingie be the way to go? 

I...have no clue.  I did manage to get it to work though, which is quite the feat...at least for me.

4 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger snell said...

Indeed, you can go online with it, and blog, and watch & download movies & games, and whatever.

The biggest questions are what your personal comfort level is. Me, I still prefer my desktop and keyboard for hardcore writing and posting. But that's just me. Then again, I once vowed never get a device or phone without a physical keyboard; it turns out I adapted fairly quickly, and within a week was swiping proficiently (kinda sorta). Also the Surface does have an optional physical keyboard; if yours didn't come with one, I don't believe it's too expensive, especially as you got the tablet for free.

The biggest drawback of the tablets may be the relatively small memory, probably much smaller than your desktop. If you've got your music/documents in the cloud, no big deal. If not, you'll want to see about starting to upload that stuff, or at least try to keep the desktop alive as a storage device if nothing else...

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Boosterrific said...

I sit in front of my laptop most of the day, but I use my Google Nexus tablet with Bluetooth keyboard in front of the TV.

The tablet doesn't have remotely the computing power of the laptop and can't be used for memory-consuming programs like Photoshop, but it is perfect for simple functions like surfing and blogging.

If you can get comfortable with the difference in interfaces between tablet and PC, you'll find that the tablet is a very useful tool in a wireless environment. It's not life-changing, or even a necessity, but it is convenient.

(What are you running on your PC, Windows XP? Sooner or later, you are going to have to upgrade to Windows 8 -- assuming you don't go Apple -- and then your PC will have exactly the same operating system as your Surface tablet. So you can think of your tablet as training wheels for a OS upgrade, if you like.)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yep, I've got the Windows XP, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I would like to get the little optional keyboard for it, it is kinda fun to fiddle with while I am in the other room away from my REAL computer. But I didn't know if I could put my musc or photobucket in it.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Photobucket is an online storage system isn't it? So wouldn't use the tablet's memory?

I have never got the hang of swyping. I type on my phone the old fashioned way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home