Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Have I Mentioned Thor?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Have I Mentioned Thor?

There has been a great deal of buzz going on lately about one of Marvel's latest moves, which is going to be stripping Thor of his "worthiness" so that a woman can wield his Hammer.  It has even been on television...so it MUST be true!  Of course, this is...just a tad on the bizarre side.

I applaud Marvel's recent efforts to actually show women as actual heroes, as opposed to simply window dressing and sex objects.  It is a desperately needed step in the right direction, and Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Storm, Kitty, Scarlet Witch and Sue have been doing a pretty fabulous job of it lately. 

So why am I so bummed about this Thor business? 

Well, for one thing it has been done before.  I have that issue of "What if?" where Jane Foster finds the hammer and ends up marrying Odin.  A little on the weird side, but it made for an interesting story.  If I remember correctly Storm had a hammer for  while too.  I know that in the movie, Odin was pissy and Thor lost his powers, heck in the very beginning, it was later retconned that Donald Blake didn't just happen to find that hammer, he had ALWAYS been Thor.

Plus...Thor was the very first comic book character's book that I ever bought, and he was my first comic book crush.  I was a nut for Norse mythology in school, and although the comic books didn't really follow the legends all that closely, it was still fun, and he had all that gorgeous blond hair, and what the heck?  Also he said things like Zounds and Forsooth, and I dug that too.

He is one of the mainstays of Marvel,and has been around for a VERY long time, doing his solo book, hanging out with the Avengers, and such.  So, the idea that he suddenly become "unworthy" and loses not only Mjollnir but his very name to someone else is not making me particularly happy. Besides, he's lost the title of Thunder God before, there was that movie camera guy way back when who had the hots for Sif, and there is always Beta Ray Bill, and Thunderstrike, about whom I care not to discuss, so why this is suddenly a huge deal, I don't know. 

I also don't see it lasting all that long. 

Is Thor going to go sulk by himself for a while?  Hang out with hot young Loki?  Sweep the floors at the Avengers mansion for Mead Money?  Is Odin just being a jackass again?  Actually, Odin spends most of his time being a jackass...being MORE of a Jackass? 


I was perfectly happy reading about Thor.  Now I am...less happy.

*sigh*

7 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thor's been a frog. Beta Ray Bill was Thor for awhile. Why does this onebother you more than the others? It's temporary, it's always temporary.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Thor was a woman in Alex Ross' Earth X, as I recall.....

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

It bothers me because Thor is a name not a title, and I'm a pedant.

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I don't like is if you kinda have an issue with this, people (most of whom have nothing to do with comic books, or god-forbid superhero comics) will tell you you are "hateful". Anyway. I'm sure it will be fine. All kinds of things happen in comics, so a storyline where Thor is a womanisn't much different than a storyline where Thor fights aliens, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish it wasn't being used so obviously as a social bludgeon.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If Thor was being turned INTO a woman, ala Guy/Gal Gardner, I wouldn't actually mind so much, because it would still be Thor...just probably highly confused, but still that character.

But it is going to be a whole different character. Which doesn't excite me nearly as much.


And yes, Saranga is right...Thor is his name...not his title.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I think i'll feel OK with it if Odin ends up naming the new lady Thor.
I say OK, I don't read the comic and I doubt i'll start picking it up so I should prolly just shut up..

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I guess I'm just hoping that it is shortlived.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home