Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Reviews

Well, this week was a bit of a mixed bag.  It was pretty light for one thing, but the first week of the month usually is.  And we are now officially into the whole Convergence thingie over at DC.


Batman & Robin #3

We don't have Pat Tomasi's wonderful art, but we do have him making his debut as a writer, and for his first story, I don't think he did badly at all.  The art is by Jose Ryp, who also does a fine job.

We begin with Batman doing monitor duty on the Satellite of Love, while Damian lurks at the Mansion, trying to figure out how to reactivate the old League Transponder that Bruce locked away in a safe after being issued a new one. Alfred is skeptical, but gosh darn it, Damian manages to do it, and shows up on the Satellite complete with a motorcycle and Titus his dog.

The kid is obnoxious, but you have to admit that he has style. 

When Batman is less than enthusiastic, Damian says that "Supes" said he could visit any time, to which Batman replies that "Supes" didn't mean it.  Titus also eats their steak. I also get the feeling that although he is trying to present a stern fatherly front, Bruce is secretly impressed.  He does give Damian the grand tour, and they spot one of the old Apollo lems still sitting on the surface of the moon, while Tomasi gives a brief lesson in what happened to all of them, which is fun, and shows that he did his homework.  What is odd, is that the power is still on, which is peculiar to say the least.  So they decide to go down and investigate, and end up driving around in the Moon Buggy.

Be still my heart.

Well the lights are indeed on, and there are even people inside?  Actually not people, but aliens who have commandeered the old flight suits and used the left-over DNA inside to replicate the original Astronauts.  Not very well, but heck, they're trying.  They also want to combine all the LEMs, and make a super Spacecraft and invade the Earth!  Naturally Batman and Robin do not wish this to happen. Supes could handle this with one hand tied behind his back, but these two have to improvise and they do it very well. 

After a lot of fighting and bravery and sacrifice, Damian more or less saves Batman's bacon, and along with Titus they get back in their ship, and manipulate the cobbled up LEMS with the cobbled up Aliens, so that they land inside of the Kilauea volcano on Hawaii.  And that takes care of THAT! 

This was fun.  For a Space adventure, it involved the Earth and the Moon, and stuff that we are familiar with. I know that Damian and Batman have been to other planets and stuff, but it was nice to have an adventure in our own backyard, and see Damian's joy in bouncing around in a Moon Buggy.  With his Dog and his Dad.

Nice.

Convergence #0

Well...that was a bit on the confusing side.  Superman is imprisoned by Brainiac, and wants to save his home.  Different homes, different Supermen, and different Brainiacs.  And all the various multi-verses combining.  I guess that sums it up, but it was still a whole lot of...confusion.  But I guess this is the just the opening chapter, but still...I was a bit underwhelmed.

Superman needs a shave.

Gotham Academy: Endgame #1

I guess this is the Annual.  With all the Joker Venom infested people rioting, the School heads have locked down the school and are trying to keep the students safe.  So naturally, they sit around and exchange the scariest Joker stories that they know. 

And you know what? They're pretty scary!  Evil masks, evil performers, evil mirrors...there's a lot of evil, but it is fun, and well told, and well drawn, and that's all I really want. 

So very good.

Sinestro #1 Annual

So, Sinestro took over Mongul's old hangout to make a new home for the refugees from Korugar.  There is dissension in the ranks, Arkillo is feeling cranky, the Korugarians are feeling cranky, and Sinestro decides to take Lyssa, Bekka and Soranik and go wander around for a while, while telling origin stories for the two former, which is actually pretty interesting.  Oh, and we get a few more origin stories for some of the other members, such as Arkillo, Rigen Kale and Dez Trevius. 

While these are all pretty interesting, Soranik is worried that there is a traitor in their midst.  Also, someone has triggered a meltdown in the reactor core of their new headquarters ,which isn't a good thing.  Sinestro says he knows who it is, but naturally we won't find that little bit of information out until June. 

Dang it! 

Not a bad issue, and we got to see a little more history about the Sinestro Corps members, while Sinestro himself gets to wander around and be arrogant, which is what he does best.  So not bad at all.

The Convergence book was iffy, but actually the other three weren't bad, so I guess it was a better week than I thought!

6 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I think with Convergence, I'm going to try and ignore the main mini-series, and just enjoy the ones about characters I actually care about. I'm not sure if that'll work - this may be one of those events where the tie-ins don't make sense if you don't read the main book - but it's worth a shot.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

That sounds like a very good idea.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I liked it although I admit there was some confusion with Superman suddenly being in chains, apparently mind wiped a lot and why the villain told him all this. I get that he was made to forget in the end but was the bad guy explaining because he was bored?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I found it a bit confusing, I have to admit.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

I found Convergence to be pretty mediocre, too, Sally. Maybe it's me, but I just had this dull sense of deja vu. Which make sense, because I feel like we've been here a dozen times or more now. I'm not sure what books I'll buy from this at this point. This may be one of the [MANY] events that I'll ignore or read in collected form in a year or two.

I really miss being excited by comics. I can't think of the last time I was so eager to read something that I sat in the parking lot at my comic shop and read through it.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Bryan, I feel your pain. It's been a bit hard to get excited about my comics lately...even my beloved Green Lanterns, which have been on the mediocre side lately.

And then Marvel is doing basically the exact same story with their Secret Wars stuff.

*sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home