Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Thursday's Reviews

Not a bad ending to the month, not bad at all.

Aquaman #41

I am not really sure that I like Arthur's new suit.  Call me a traditionalist, but his old one, or actually the most recent version of the old one is fine with me.  The new one is far too fussy, and the codpiece is a bit...jarring.  What is it with codpieces lately? 

I honestly can't make heads or tails out of all of this, as it seems to be two time periods and two versions of Aquaman jammed together, and in one, he's all badass, and in the other he is still badass, but the actual Arthur that I like, and apparently he and Mera are going to hate each other now, and...oh God, I hated this.

There.  I said it.  So I guess I'm dropping this book as of now.

Bleh.

Batgirl #41

I have been loving this book, but I can't say that this is my favorite issue.  Barbara meets up with dear old Dad, who has shaved his mustache, much to her consternation.  He also confesses that he is now BATMAN, and he's cleaning up this town, and running out all the costumed vigilantes.  Fortunately, Barbara was interrupted before she could confess that she is BATGIRL!

Also for some reason, Livewire shows up, and Batgirl gets arrested by her Dad. That's going to be awkward at Thanksgiving!

Not bad actually, but not quite up to the standards it has been reaching.

Batman'66, #24

This book is always a pure delight.  Campy Batman, a love-crazed Robin, and Marsha, Queen of Diamonds.  What's not to like?  The art is a hoot, with little hearts floating around Robin's head, and the psychodelic backgrounds of the Bat Computer, are just craaaazy, man. 

A joy from start to finish.

Green Lantern: Lost Army #1

Guy!

Daredevil #16

We are nearing the end of Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's epic journey, and things have really hit the fan.  With the Shroud using the Owl to power his machine, he's outed Matt, and made him look like a Villain to all of San Francisco.  Matt needs help and ends up going to...The Kingpin? 

And boy howdy, does he have a proposition for him!

Things aren't looking too good for Foggy and Kirsten however. 

Oh, my God, this is fabulous.

So...so fabulous.

Howard the Duck #4

And speaking of fabulous.  This is just so...weird.  And cute.  And funny. 

Howard saves all the octogenarians, including Aunt May, although Peter seems pretty steamed about it, but now he has to contend with Talos the Tamed, and ends up going to visit Doctor Strange.  I have to say that this is my favorite version of Strange yet, as he's hiding out from Wong, and playing card with a bunch of inter-dimensional sorts. 

They are also looking for a gem from...well...not the Infinity Gauntlet, but the Abundant Glove.  Individually, the gems don't do much, but together they may make someone marginally more powerful.

I laughed and laughed. 

Then they have to find the gem that Talos is looking for, at Pier 4 where the Fantastic Four used to hang out, which means they have to cope with an out-of-control Johnny Storm who is busy hitting on anything with breasts in any dimension.  We have a lovely recap...from Johnny's point of view of the original Secret Wars, and things just get weirder and sillier.

Magnificent!


Loki: Agent of Asgard #15

Oh, things aren't too good. Evil old King Loki has teamed up with Hela and Tyr, and the forces of Nuspelheim, not to mention Jormungand, against Asgard.  Odin and Freya have unearthed a really bitchin' cache of Midgard weapons and Odin is just going to town.

Unfortunately, they are pretty much outnumbered, until Freya does her completely awesome thing.

Also, we get the backstory on Verity Willis, and it's not what you would think!  Young Loki, new Loki, Girl Loki isn't really in this all that much, but boy, it is a wild ride.  I love this book, and I'm devastated that it is going to apparently be ending with issue 17. Why are you doing that to me, Marvel?  What's going to happen next? 

Fabulous!

Where Monsters Dwell #2

Lovely Frank Cho covers.  Nice art, and a silly silly, but hilarious story.  The hero is an idiot and his female passenger is the one with all the brains, and they are trapped, presumably in the Savage land, or a reasonable facsimile, and it has amazons, pygmies and dinosaurs, and jodphurs.

It's great. So great.

I have to admit that with the exception of Green Lantern, I wasn't much impressed by DC this week.  Or this month. Marvel on the other hand, Secret Wars and Battle World notwithstanding, has been doing an excellent job with the quirky books lately.  I did get the previews for September, and the pickings were awfully slim...for BOTH companies.  What the heck is going on?

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I've been pleasantly surprised by the few Secret Wars-related books I've bought. I think Marvel is basically letting the creative teams make up any setting they like and just go nuts with it, which is about the best we can hope for out of an event like that.

Also, I agree there wasn't a lot in September I was interested in, at least not from Marvel or DC.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

These other-wordly stories can be interesting, in an Elseworlds kind of way, but I am still confused as to whether or not this is all actually going to be considered continuity. Of course, continuity isn't what it used to be either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home