Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Feeling...Cranky

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, July 06, 2015

Feeling...Cranky

I've been browsing through Previews, and noodling around on the interwebs, and the prognosis for this coming October is not...promising.  Presumably, all the giant crossovers will be coming to a thankful end, and we can get back to the business of telling stories about our favorite superheroes as opposed to indulging in company-sponsored fan-fiction, and that is a good thing. I like Elseworlds stories as much as the rest of them, but interrupting my regular books, is an indulgence that makes me go cross-eyed.

Remember graphic novels?  I do.  That was where DC or Marvel could come out, and put out a nice glossy book with a great story and art, and do something different from the regular books, without interrupting anything.  I know that everything gets written for Trades nowadays, but what ever happened to good old graphic novels? 

Anyhoo.

Books that I adore are...missing. 

This makes me crabby. 

I know that Loki: Agent of Asgard is finishing up more or less in August, or September, but I haven't seen a single solicitation for it, or a new book in October.  This makes me VERY cranky, since it has been a really really good book.  I see that Thor is going to be back, which is a good thing, since I like that as well. 

But what about Squirrel Girl?  God, I love Squirrel Girl.  It may be my favorite book about now.  I know that Howard the Duck is coming out with another number One issue, which is absurd, since I think it is only up to...four maybe?  What the hell?  But it is a fun book and I'm glad I will have the chance to continue to read it. Ms. Marvel is coming back I think, which is also good. 

And then there is a crapload of new books, very few of which actually appeal to me.  About 900 Avengers books, only 400 Spider-Man books, and a corresponding number of  X-books.  Yeesh. 

Over at DC, things aren't looking too promising either.  The new Lost Army/Green Lantern book seems pretty promising, but the regular GL with Hal is not really my cup of tea.  Hal running around in a duster and long hair is just...odd.  Damn odd.  Call me shallow, but what the heck again? 

I don't really care about Darkseid, Aquaman used to be good, but I'm dumping it.  James Gordon as Batman in a bunny/moth suit doesn't really float my boat, although Sensational Wonder Woman is good, and so is Batman '66.  Section Eight has been a hoot.  Justice League so-so, and so on and so forth.

Perhaps I am grumbling without cause. After all, I haven't even read any of these prospective offerings yet, and here I am, kvetching at the top of my lungs and stamping my dainty feet, and using all that fan-girl privilege and such.  It has to be annoying.

And yet...I want to love my comics, and I don't really see all that much that is appealing...at least not at this juncture.  I guess I'll have to wait and see, and hope for the best, but that seems to be getting harder and harder to do anymore, now that I am a mean old lady, waving my cane and shrieking at people to get off my lawn. 

Is anyone else hopeful, or is it just me?

8 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

I feel your pain, Sally.

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Randy Jackson said...

Nah, I'm grumbling too.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you, Scipio.

Randy, it does seem to be something of a desert out there this fall.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I'm getting forty-one of the titles in the Marvel previews book. I haven't counted the DC titles I'm interested in but it feels less than ever. I miss the days when you went to Marvel for flawed heroes and DC gave you the icons...

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Steve...now you're making me all misty-eyed...for those halcyon days of yore.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I'm currently getting three ongoing titles, I liked Green Lanterns Lost Army, and will be getting a Marvel mini series. While I like a few titles and usually don't get many to begin with I still feel disappointed with the bigger picture. I don't care for what Marvel has become and I miss quite a few things DC used to have.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

For the first time in many years...I am feeling... bored. Erin, the bigger picture is looking fairly bleak. I could be mistaken, I suppose, but so far has anyone read anything hopeful?

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Hopeful to the bigger picture? No. But so far all the books I'm getting are fairly upbeat, surprisingly so in some cases.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home