Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Not All That Excited

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, July 31, 2015

Not All That Excited

So...I've read the Previews for October.  And I have to say...I'm not all that excited. In fact for the first time in a very LONG time, I am not excited at all. 

Nada.

Zip.

I've been blogging for nine years now, come September. I've been collecting comics since I was fifteen, with a bit of time off for motherhood and all that jazz, but let's just say that I've been at this for a pretty long time, and with a fair amount of enthusiasm.  I started off as a Marvel Zombie, but then slithered over to the opposite side of the aisle, although I have to say that Marvel lately had been doing a pretty darned good job of winning me back.

But this Fall?  Man, it is a desert out there. 

I think I've made it pretty clear, that I'm not a fan of huuuuuuuge Crossovers that take 18 months to play out, before leading right into the next huge Crossover.  I'm old, and cranky, and all I really want is to be able to read about my favorite characters in their own books, with their own narrative and supporting casts, doing their heroic thing.  If guest heroes or villains want to show up occasionally, then that's great. Or if I want to have them all hanging out together, that is what the Avengers or the Justice League are for.  But as a constant diet?  It's getting old. 

So very very old.

Another trend, is the wanton tossing of years of continuity and character development, and revamping of universes, so that the writers can do some fanfiction for a few months.  DC in particular is notorious for this sort of thing, and it is getting a bit on the tedious side.  Marvel has suddenly jumped on the band wagon, and I don't think that it is a good ride.  I am really getting sick of the Convergence, and Secret Wars, and Battleworlds, and War this and War that. 

On the other hand, lest I sound like a complete negative Nelly, there actually HAVE been some astonishingly great books out there, that I really really enjoy.  The problem is that I would like to CONTINUE to really really enjoy them, and that isn't going to be possible. 

Daredevil is coming to an end. I can't say that I was ever a huge Daredevil fan, but Mark Waid and Chris Samnee have made me one, and it's all going to be over. As a story, it has been sublime, but with a different writer and a different artist, I am pretty sure that I won't be continuing the book. I could be wrong...heck I would love to be wrong, and I'll certainly give any new creators a chance to wow me, but I'm getting a lot crankier in my old age.  It used to be that I would hang on and on and on, reading a book that I used to love, waiting for new writers or artists to enthrall me, and coming back issue after issue, waiting...and hoping...that THIS month, it would be good.  I've been disappointed too many times, and hell, I'm old and running out of time for this sort of thing. 

I have been loving the hell out of Loki: Agent of Asgard. I loved the hell out of Journey into Mystery, and Young Avengers too, and after next month, that all ends, and I haven't seen anything about continuing Loki's story from Marvel. At ALL.  And man, I'm depressed.  Because changing Loki's narrative from villain to reluctant anti-hero, has been superbly well done, and made for great stories.  Besides, if Asgard needs a go-to villain now, they have Malekith. 

I love Squirrel Girl, and Ms Marvel, and I think those will remain. I think.  What about Howard the Duck?  Yes, it's silly, but I like silly. 

I love Black Canary, but her new book just didn't do it for me. I've dropped it after one issue.  Same thing with Aquaman.  Justice League has me bored to tears.  I don't CARE about Darkseid.  I hate Superman and Wonder Woman together.  I love Sensation Comics starring Wonder Woman, but I loathe her own book, AND her horrible horrible new costume.  Superman without his curl, or his secret identity, or LOIS, is just...not Superman to me.  I've loved Snyder and Capullo on Batman, but reading Batman without Batman in it, is not my cup of tea. I like James Gordon, but I feel like Barbara...give him back his mustache! 

I loved the original Secret Six. The current bunch, with the exception of Catman, are all a bunch of highly unpleasant people, and I don't care a jot or tittle about them.  I don't read X-Man any more. I don't read Avengers any more, although I still like individual characters.  The new JLI 3000 has been a disappointment, I don't read Flash anymore either.

And then there are the Green Lanterns.  I actually liked Guy Gardner as a Red Lantern, although I was originally quite cool to the idea. Part of that is because Charles Soule is a VERY good writer.  So I miss that book. I have been liking the new Green Lantern Corps, because it has Guy and John and Arisia and Kilowog, so those are four of my absolute favorite characters all together again, and the art is pretty and the story is interesting, so no problems there.  As for the regular Green Lantern book however....

I don't understand it for one thing. I still haven't been presented with a compelling reason for Hal to go all "rogue" and run off to be a version of Space Gambit.  That's not Hal.  That's not remotely Hal.  Yes, Hal is a bit of a rebel, and doesn't necessarily handle authority all that well, and has a bit of a lone wolf attitude about him. But Space Gambit?  Letting his hair grow and wearing a trench coat?

Please.  So, believe it or not, I'm dropping Green Lantern. And that's a sentence that I never thought I would write. 

My pull list is going to be a heck of a lot shorter in a month or two.  And that makes me sad.  It's going to make my beloved comic book store sad too.  Is anyone...anyone at all...enthusiastic about what is coming out after Secret Wars finally comes to an end?  Or the new DC books?  Or anything? Or am I just  being a crank because it is so hot and muggy out? 

10 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Did you see this weeks Secret Six? Things got better...in the way that made this family man in his 40's with a technical profession let out a girly, " squee!"

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I don't mind revamping. I just figure it's another part of the multiverse. All I want is a good story at this point. There are still DC comics I enjoy, and Marvels, but I don't know what Marvels I'll be reading come the fall. Probably Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel. But after that? I have no clue. I'm glad I still have stacks of unread comics and graphic novels to read. I'm equally glad I made the decision when DC started the Nu52 to read more from other companies and imprints. Image has been a delight. I don't like everything from them that I try, but my favorite comics right now are from Image. And I've got you beat for longevity. I've been reading and collecting comics since I was 7, with a few years off to protest the death of Supergirl, which makes me a comics reader/collector for 50+ years now and counting. And I know I'm not the target audience by a longshot.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I remember hearing that something huge was coming in October for DC. All I saw was Batman and Robin Eternal (which I knew about but I don't care for a couple of the main writers) and some mini series. Titans Hunt has potential because it might be about the TT existing in new 52 prior to Tims' team. There's a theory online that Donna Troy existed before the recent WW issues and there was other Titans before they were made to forget. A previous team was hinted at in RHATO with Roy/Kori having a past working with Dick. I read some of the new Wonder Woman issues with Donna and it is kind of blah but I think there's potential. Mainly the Donna stuff especially if the rumor is true.

In general I don't get too many big name books. I enjoy Doomed which pleasantly surprised me and Dr. Fates' first issue was good. Yet I want more books to read and without out knowing how good Titans Hunt will be I have a limited amount of titles to look forward to. It's pretty frustrating because we had a period of time where Booster Gold was appearing in 3 titles (his solo, TMVP and JLGL.) Yes I have three, MAYBE four series to look forward to at the moment but only one of them has me wanting the next issue immediately. It'd be nice if something else could fill the void.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Jeff, I dropped Secret Six, because I just didn't give a darn about any of them. Perhaps I will give it a second chance?

Shelly, alas, we are not the target audiences, although things do seem to be improving. A bit. But yes, you ARE the Man! Er...Woman! I worship at your feet.

Erin, we keep hearing things...but not much seems to be on the horizon. I'd love to read about Booster and Beetle!

There are indeed some decent books out there, I liked Doctor Fate too, Squirrel Girl and Saga and Ms Marvel are fabulous. Green Lantern: Lost Army is good, even Sinestro has its charms, with Sensation: Wonder Woman, and Damian: Son of Batman, and Batgirl and Gotham Academy. So that's good.

But so many of my favorite books are just...ending.

Waaaaaaah!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Mista Whiskas said...

Sally, your sentiments really resonate. It's harder to find titles to like, much less get excited about. I agree with you about Ms. Marvel, it's a special title. I hope that in it's new incarnation it's not going to go the 3.99 route like all of Marvel's other titles (heck, they seem to be working on 4.99 and 5.99 now, stop the insanity!). I like the new Batgirl, it's kind of in the Ms. Marvel vein. I also wonder whether I should be checking out Dr. Fate, it looks like it could be along those lines too. I've been enjoying the new Starfire title, have you checked it out? The Harley Quinn title is pretty good (I know you've been getting the offshoot with Powergirl), though again I don't like it's recent price increase.

But yeah, I've given up on quite a few titles lately. I enjoyed the Azarello run on Wonder Woman as, at least, something different, but haven't cared much for it after that and dropped it when the price increased recently. Ditto for Flash, enjoyed the Manapul/Buccellato run a lot, enthusiasm started to drop with new run and the price increase there led me to cut the cord. I can't stand what they're doing with Superman and you hit on so much there: Superman needs Lois as the love interest and some consistency to his powers.

And Green Lantern. You couldn't be more spot on (I laughed out loud at 'Space Gambit'). I get that GL is part of a galactic police force (well, not now), but why on earth they've decided to keep Hal off earth for so long now is beyond me. Sure he's a space cop, but earth is his beat! I'm OK with some space opera in my comic books, but not all the time.

So now that you're quitting on the GL title will you be renaming the blog? I don't think Hawkeye Butts Forever will have the same ring ;)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger JimmyTheJiver said...

Sally, I feel the same as you, but less weary, just cynical. I've had problems with the two companies for a long time and I don't think either have been as strong since Identity Crisis and Civil War tore through their paths maiming and laying waste to its creative path. I quit around that time (specifically when Avengers Disassembled which incidentally is when my arch-nemesis Meredith Finch got into comics), came back again around 2008, but Batman had grown toxic by that point and all Flash promises were squandered by Flashpoint.

This is the exact boat I was in when the new52 started and I find I'm still in that boat. Other than Waid's Daredevil (once again we're going to get get more of the same Frank Miller rehashes) and JL3000 (which is hit and miss), I can't be bothered with anything from the big 2. I could have liked Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl, but I don't care for teen comics myself. Starfire looks cute and Black Canary should be up my alley since it's a Rock book, but I don't care.

Anyway, I had a longer rant about the trends in comics and their characters, but it's mean spirited, so I deleted it. Your comment section isn't my blog so I'll keep it to myself.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Guys, I feel your pain. Books just seem to be getting more and more expensive, and deliver less and less. Everything is geared towards writing for the trade now anyways, so you get an issue setting up the conflict, five issues where everything just spins its wheels, and finally...a finale. Except it isn't a finale, but just the setup to the next massive crossover.

This isn't true of ALL books of course, but bow howdy... it sure seems like the more prevalent method. I am sorry to be so cranky and all, but it is a little reassuring to know that it's not just me.

And fortunately, there ARE still magnificent Green Lantern Butts still available to us all!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

There was an interesting interview from a writer of one of my titles that talked about basically being forced to continue storylines just to make trades. When he left the series for awhile they made the next writer finish his stories which screwed over what he was building up and the new guy couldn't execute well. The first writer did come back and now has an editor that allows him to do one issue stories.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I rather miss one issue stories.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really miss the one to two issue story. lines too :(
My husband has been pretty good with finding me stuff to read in the form of trades from BOOM!
I've been pleasantly surprised. but alas they end :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home