Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Tiny Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Tiny Reviews

Gosh, that was a small week!  Nevertheless, not a terrible one.

Green Lantern #43

Well...I got the cover with old-style Hal wearing the leather jacket, in his flight suit, and short hair, looking stalwart and handsome as ever. Too bad the interior didn't match up. 

Hal is still in Space-Gambit mode.  For some reason, "Darlene" his sentient ship, hates his guts, and wants him to die. And she's not even an old girlfriend!  The prince he rescued and the pirate are still hanging around. Hal goes off to see Relic of all people, trying to figure out why all these planets have turned to stone. I would assume it has something to do with Black Hand, and the Source Wall.

I...I really don't care. This isn't my Hal.  And I completely understand that this is Fan-Girl rage coming through, and the expectation that creators must make their creations FOR ME!  Nerd entitlement and all of that. But on the other hand...when a character and a book that you have enjoyed for years, takes a turn that makes all of the things that you liked, into something that you don't like...are you still obligated to continue to shell out cash month after month for something that no longer appeals to you?  I can hardly believe that I am dropping a Green Lantern book, nay THE Green Lantern book...but I'm done with this...at least until something different happens.

Bye, Hal.  And get a haircut for God's sake!


Groot #3

This is fun.  Groot is out looking for Rocket, and is lost-in-spaaaaace, but meets up with the Silver Surfer and the young lady that he is toting around with him for some reason. I don't read Silver Surfer, so I don't know the ins and outs of that story. But I have learned a new term..."Surferizing". It combines Surfer and Soliloquizing and it is adorable.  And perfect. 

Naturally, the trio pairs up to rescue a nearby planet under attack from Acari, who feeds off of cosmic power!  Groot saves the natives, and defeats the power-sucking creature, and saves Norrin too, which is nice of him. Silver Surfer is rather...cute in all of this, which is a word I never thought to use in reference to the Silver Surfer.

It's pretty darned great.


Giant-Sized Little Marvels, A vs X #3

Basically it is just Skottie Young going nuts with pint-sized versions of the Avengers and the X-men, as they compete for the attentions of a newly-moved into the neighborhood pair of twins.  It is completely outrageous, and hilarious, and...adorable.  So very very adorable.

We have competing tree-houses, with competing amenities, and even crossovers, since little Wolverine likes to hang out at the Avenger's bouncy house.

Then wee Galactus and wee Thanos show up.

Oh God, this is a hoot.


Ms Marvel #17

Well, things are going to hell in a handbasket, and then Captain Marvel shows up, much to Kamala's consternation and joy.  She's still just trying to do her best in a terrible situation, and Carol can't really offer a whole lot of comfort about how things are going to end up, but they are still out there doing their best, which is the Super Hero Way.

They go off to find her brother, and her ex-boyfriend/villain, and run across some other things along the way, and it is delightful as always.  So...very delightful.


So not a bad week, all things considered.  One dud, and three great books, are decent odds I suppose. 

I have to say that Marvel has been knocking it out of the park lately.  Now if only they would bring back Loki: Agent of Asgard, I would be so happy. 

5 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I feel for you about Green Lantern as I've had this happen many times. In books where the characters I like appear and ongoings. Twice I've been reading a series I've loved and had new writers who don't get the characters take over. I had breaking points with both but the original writers came back before I could drop them. I know how horrible it is when something you loved changes for the worst. Hopefully you can at least get your GL fix until the problem is fixed.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Sally, I'd say if the current GL book is doing it for you, then there's nothing wrong with dropping it. If it doesn't work as a direction for Hal, they'll reverse course towards something that'll hopefully work better.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Ms. Marvel was definitely Marvel-ous. I'm actually dreading what's going to happen with the Marvel titles I read come the fall when Everything Changes.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Mista Whiskas said...

"So...very delightful."

It really is great, isn't it?

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I have to say that all of my Marvel books were pretty darned fabulous this week, and Green Lantern of all things was just such a dud. Words I never thought that I would be typing!

So yep, I'm dumping Hal. When he cuts his hair, gets a shave and a shower and starts chasing Carol, maybe I'll come back.

And yes, I'm a bit nervous about where everything is going to be after all the Secret War stuff ends too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home