Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bad News For Green Lanterns

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Bad News For Green Lanterns

Well poop.

As lackluster as the most recent issue of Green Lantern: Lost Army was, apparently part of the abrupt change of pace and motivation came from the news that it is on the chopping block. This upsets me, because at the moment it is book is the ONLY place that I can get my Guy Gardner fix... but also because, for all its flaws, this book is still a hundred times better than the Green Lantern book featuring Hal!

I don't know what the heck is going on at DC, but they just seem to be flailing all over the place, without any real kind of direction or real purpose as to what they want to do.  They have this enormous cache of wonderful characters in their toybox that they can't seem to figure out how to use. The ones that they are using have lost whatever sense of continuity and characterization that made them popular and beloved in the first place. You can't just strip a hero of his supporting cast, history, and definition, and expect fans to continue to embrace what has essentially become an entirely different person... naming no names...(cough, Superman, cough).

You want to modernize characters? Fine.  But do it in an orderly and organic fashion instead of just arbitrarily throwing out everything and starting over. New Coke ring any bells?

So, for the first time in... well, practically forever, I won't be buying... or even be able to buy... any Green Lantern books.  And that is a sad thing indeed.

7 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I actually wouldn't mind if they'd start over, but for their entire universe, not just some characters. That's what I'd wanted Nu52 to be. Just go to another part of the multiverse and start with characters that look and act like the ones we know and love, and show them gain their powers, etc. and create a new, vibrant DCU. Then, they could do multiverse crossover stories if they wanted, but you'd have the old universes intact with their Earths and characters and now a new Earth, etc. Instead, they arbitrarily picked and chose what to keep, and what to ignore, and picked things up at odd points in the timeline that didn't match for each character and got a real mess. But they drove me to try other companies, like Image, so I can't complain too much.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

The Kyle-ish book Omega Men is uncancelled at least until issue 12 and I don't know what's going on with GLLA. I heard it was selling well enough and someone suggested a big change for the GL books. Maybe? The new books should be around the corner after so many were cancelled recently. There are plenty of fans that want more than Hal and DC should be mindful of that.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Kyle has been pretty great in Omega Men. Not a traditional Green Lantern book, but Kyle is my favorite Lantern and I've really been enjoying it. Might be worth a look!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I'm curious about it but I haven't heard much. The sneak peek didn't really catch my attention.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Mista Whiskas said...

I guess there's a logic to having the Lantern books be such space operas, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hal as GL on earth for a while. If anything his new look would have to be abandoned as earthlings would mock him so mercilessly for it that even his will could not maintain it long.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Can't you just see Ollie or Barry getting sight of emo-Hal? It would be so... epic. If of course, Hal and Ollie are even friends anymore. I have lost track.

Forget that, I want to see Guy's reaction to emo-Hal!

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Kyla C said...

This is a great post thanks for writing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home