Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, December 18, 2015

Reviews

Holy crap! This turned out to be a really good week!

Batman '66, #30

Holy Matrimony, Batman! This may just be my favorite episode ever of this delightful little title. I used to watch this when I was a wee tot, and it has remained dear to my heart.

There is a lull in villainy in Gotham City, so everyone is a tad on edge. Turns out all the nefarious no-gooders are occupied in attending their version of a trade show, being held at a (naturally) abandoned movie studio. It is being hosted by the Penguin, the Joker and Catwoman. But where, you may ask is the Riddler? Not invited! They felt that his riddles made it too easy for Batman to foil their villainy.

This... turns out to be a mistake on their part, as the Riddled is quite naturally peeved, and used his riddles to lead the Dynamic Duo to the scene of their revelry. And... in what may go down in history as omen of the greatest comic book pages ever drawn... are the opening scenes from the television show, given back story and context.

It is... magnificent.

By Lee, Michael and Laura Allied, it is an homage and work of love, and you need to go out and buy it and read it.

Twelve thumbs up!!


"
Lucifer #1

I read the original Lucifer from Vertigo and always enjoyed it. I didn't even know they were bringing it back, but here it is, and I am delighted. The art by Lee Garnett is lovely, and Holly Black definitely does a bang up job of capturing the voices and characters of the protagonists.

Lucifer is back, and apparently a lot of people are actually glad to see him. Also the Angels are in a bit of a snit, and have decided to redeem poor Gabriel, and other other-wordly things are going on. It's gripping and I definitely want to see where this is going to go.

Excellent.


Ms. Marvel  #2

Poor Kampala. She's an Avenger now, but things seem to be getting a little too much for her.  Her neighborhood is being gentrified at an alarming rate, her image has been hi-jacked by the sleazy company behind it, school is a problem, and Bruno had the nerve to go out and get a girlfriend. She iß a little frazzled.

Oh, and Hydra shows up.

It is all fun and delightful as usual, although I do miss the original art a wee bit. But still worth your money!


The Mighty Thor #2

Woohoo! I am really enjoying this book!  I wasn't too sure t first about Jane Foster taking over as Thor, but they are actually making it a rich and compelling story. Odin has apparently gone bankers and locked up his own wife and put a bounty on Thor, while his evil brother, Culp the Serpent is functioning as his Hit-Man. I am reasonably sure that it is actually Culp who is pulling the strings, but I am also sure that there are surprises in store.

Meanwhile Malekith and Roxxon continue their joint villainy, while none other than my favoritcGod of Mischief shows up... apparently trying to join the new Bad Boys Club. His interactions with his newly resurrected real father, Laufey are quite... entertaining.

This is a whole lot of fun. Great art and story, interesting characters, a sprawling epic storyline and lots of hints of surprises to come... what's not to like?

And I do like it. A whole lot.



The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3

Oh dear God, but I love this book. Doreen and a surprising number of other students, all from her college, have been thrown back in time to the sixties and forgotten. Well, fortunately Nancy still remembers. And apparently so does Doctor Doom, who received a particularly galling defeat from Doreen and her squirrels. He and Nancy also travel back in time... and... well... Time Travel and stuff.

I actually loudly giggled my way through this book, much to the consternation of my Shi Tzu, Petunia.

So incredibly delightful.


Klaus #2

Grant Morrison does it again with the continuing saga of how Santa came to be. The art is lovely, and Klaus as a medieval ninja is a hoot, and it is all improbable... but who cares? It's good crazy drama and fun, and love it.

I also picked up another Walt Simonson Thor trade, which also makes my heart happy.

I can't remember the last time I had so many truly great books all in one week. Not a clunker in the bunch! A Christmas miracle!

6 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I was happy that Ms. Marvel pretty much picked up where it left off. It's such a good book.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's a lovely book. I've been pretty darned happy with Marvel lately. And apparently there is going to be a Black Widow book in the spring by none other than Mark Waid and Chris Samnee...and I am sure it will be glorious.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Black Widow book.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's been a bit bleak out there... it's nice to have something to look forward TO!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

So why is Odin so peeved about Jane-Thor? She uses the hammer, that means she's worthy. get over it, old man!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm not completely convinced that it's Odin behind all the shenanigans. Sounds more like Cul's modus operandi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home