Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Thursday Reviews

What a nice little week.

Batman meets the Man From U.N.C.L.E. #2

Now that Batman '66 is over, this is the next best thing.  Thrush continues to cause trouble for Bruce Wayne, since they are the ones in charge of breaking all the bad guys and girls out of Arkham, in order to recruit them for their nefarious organization.  Meanwhile, it turns out that Alexander Waverly is an old buddy of Alfred's, and he has his suspicions about Bruce Wayne, since Thrush is trying to hit billionaires up for cash.  Also, if I ran a Spy organization I am not sure that I'd be filming a PSA about it, but hey...comics.

It's all good lighthearted fun, and therefore right up my alley.


Fables #13

Is it me, or is this thing really really starting to drag on a bit?  I love seeing Bigby and Snow of course, but I'm not all that into the new characters so much, and every issue it seems more of the same.  I know that it is apparently based on a video game, which I don't play, but is there really all that much story there?  The same thing occurs to me with the Injustice series going on.

So, Bigby fights, and bad guys do bad things. 

Gotham Academy #14

Maps is feeling a bit down since the Academy won't let her on the Yearbook staff or something, so she makes one of her own, or has one made, and it's cute and adorable with different artists and different escapades and stuff. 

Cute, but not really deep. And to be perfectly honest, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on in the last story. 

Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #1

Now this is more like it!  I still can't bring myself to read about Hal, because his book is so very very dull.  But now we have the GLC back again, although...they are still stuck in Relic's world, and nothing at all has really happened between the end of the last series and this one. We do have Ethan Van Sciver on art however, which is always nice. 

All the remaining Lanterns are standing around trying to figure out just what to do.  Guy is back in snark mode, which is how I like it, and as usual,he has all the best lines.  That's my boy!  They also decide that perhaps there are other lanterns lost out there, and have Mogo light up, which serves as a beacon to some of those self-same lost Lanterns which is good.

It also draws the attention of another world which is busy crashing into Mogo...which is bad.  And a couple of heavy-weight types start throwing their...weight around a bit, so naturally they all fight for a bit. Then the Krypton...er..."Guardians" of this world announce that they are actually good guys and so are the Lanterns and that they should team up or something, since they want to get the hell out of the dying Universe and into ours.

Salaak, is the only one with a brain and thinks that this seems rather suspicious, but Kilowog is all for it, since he is the last of his species too, and what the heck, it's a big Universe or something. So they have a talk about it and decide to help them out, which of course leads to some skullduggery.  Always with the skullduggery.

But hey, it is GLC space-faring action, that I love, so I am down with this so far.



All-New, All-Different Avengers #3

Is it me, or are Comic Book titles getting really really long nowadays?  Yeesh!

We have Iron Man, and new Thor and new Captain America and new Vision along with Ms. Marvel and new Nova fighting a Chitauri who has teamed up with the evil new owner of Stark's Tower.  I guess Tony needs the cash or something but he really shouldn't be just selling off assets to ever villain that wanders by with good credit. 

They fight the good fight and decide to become the fifteenth version of the Avengers, because why the hell not?  But it is fun, and it does have some of my favorite characters in it, so I rather like this. And Kamala and little Sam are rather adorable. 

Scarlet Witch #2

This is a very stylish book.  Certainly rather different visually from a lot of other offerings out there.  Wanda is over in Greece, talking to Hecate, because something strange is going on with Magic.  Well, I do believe that Doctor Strange told her that, but that's another book.  There is a reincaration of the Minotaur running about causing mayhem, and Wanda figures it out, it is actually just silly old Man-Bull who has been amped up a bit.  But naturally, there is something else going on in the background, and it is all rather intriguing, so pretty good so far.



The Mighty Thor #3

I do like this book.  A lot.  I'm getting my much-needed dose of Norse Gods, a really spectacular version of Loki, and Jane Foster doing her thing, although it probably wouldn't hurt to actually listen to Loki once in a while.  But she has her own issues with him, since he used to love to kidnap her back in the old days, and that is actually a pretty darned good reason for her to be mad at him. 

I still don't know where Odinson is hanging out, or why it is that Odin seems to have gone of his royal rocker, but I am pretty sure that Cul has something to do with it.  And considering how obnoxious Freyja was to Loki I'm not all that sorry so see her sweat for a little bit.  

Tough on the poor Elves of course, but darn it if Malekith isn't have such a very good time with all of his shenanigans. 

Really really Good.

So...quite a nice little week after all.  I actually read some DC this week, after nothing last week.  I do wish that I could read more, but I'm pretty happy with Marvel at the minute.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

The only one of those I got was Gotham Academy and I haven't read it yet. It looks like fun, tho.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's... cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home