Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: But What Do I Know?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, April 11, 2016

But What Do I Know?

Normally I would be putting up my reviews, but in light of a conversation I had today with one of my co-workers, it has been made clear to me, that I do not know what I am talking about.

I have not been to see the new Superman vs Batman movie. I have heard good things about Wonder Woman, but it frankly seems a bit dark and depressing for me, although I will probably watch it when it comes out on HBO or something. This was exactly the opinion I expressed when pressed by my co-worker as to what I thought of the movie. I then had to listen to a twenty minute speech about what a great movie it was, and how short-sighted my opinion was, and for heaven's sake, wasn't Batman kickass?

Whenever I tried to explain my point of view, that I thought the producer seemed to be going for a "Dark Knight Returns" type of vibe, I was shot down. When I said that Christopher Reeve was still my favorite cinematic version of Superman, I was scoffed at. When I mentioned that I really liked the Curt Swan version of Superman, there was dead silence because he had never actually ever read a comic book.

Oh, did mention my co-worker was a man? He thinks it is just adorable that I trot off every Wednesday to buy the books, but it isn't as though I actually KNOW anything about the characters or their continuity or boring stuff like that because... Explosions are cool!

So now I am feeling very very... cranky.

8 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Sheesh. I'd be cranky, too. I know people who loved BvS and people who disliked it. I don't plan to see it, but I do want to see Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. We can't all like everything or even want to see everything.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I try to be open minded to newcomers but the ones that get cocky then act like know-it-alls despite knowing nothing of the characters' backgrounds get on my nerves. My sister saw the movie and said there was some good things about it but she (and her husband) didn't care for it. You're co-worker would tick me off too.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

Nonsense. My own unofficial survey shows your co-worker to be in the vast minority. Most people I've asked about it said it was "meh" at best. Hell, I've got a friend who worked on the movie who said don't bother to see it.

Moving into more objective territory, its rating on Rotten Tomatoes (28% I believe) and the massive drop-off in ticket sales (like 70%!) after its opening weekend suggest it ain't all that.

I was going to see it in the theater, but honestly I can't seem to scrape up the motivation. My family won't go (they hated "Man of Steel" -- to be fair, so did I) so I'd have to go alone. The 2.5 hour running time just seems really oppressive to me. I don't want to spend that amount of time on anything made by the guy responsible for "Man of Steel." At this point I'll probably get the DVD from the library eventually. That has the nice side-effect of not making me responsible for giving WB any additional money for a bad movie.

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Boosterrific said...

I'm on record as no fan of Snyder or Goyer, so my bias is obvious. However, I was shocked when a friend of mine, a Superman reader of 20 years who has never seen a movie he didn't like, told me he was so disgusted by BvS that he walked out of it. Some people may like it, but I have to feel that Warner Bros is missing the mark by aiming for those viewers who cherish empty spectacle over character and substance.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely if it matters. I mean, it's Superman. You can't have the movie be dark if Superman's in it. There's a reason why he fights in the day while Batman fights at night. The brightness and optimism are critical parts of the character. They pretty much explicitly said that in Superman vs. the Elite (sorry if that's not the comic name). I usually respect your opinion and now is no exception.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't go see it. A fellow comic geek (we're both in our 50's) said, "Don't go". I went anyway. Mopey. Darky. Cloudy. Angsty.
I fell asleep twice. Checked my phone a few times. Thought about leaving but stayed to see the cameos (which I could have seen on youtube).
The awful Man of Steel Superman is just worse.
As I told some kid who LOVED the movie, "I hated it and went home to watch 'Schindler's List' to see something lighter."
Don't. Go.
And I love your blog.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

The thought of watching Schindler's List for light entertainment just cracks me up.

I sat down and read all of All-Star Superman in order to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Now THAT would make a great movie!

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Taffyta said...

Very thoughhtful blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home