Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Finally Some Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, October 07, 2016

Finally Some Reviews

My God, but I have been slacking off lately.  In my defense, my Sweet Babboo is having Cataract surgery, we did the left eye two days ago with the right eye scheduled for the end of the month.  It was...actually a lot less traumatic than he had expected. Thank goodness!  And I have a wicked cold at the moment. 

Achoo!

But basically I've just been lazy. But there are two weeks worth here.

Blue Beetle #1

I thought we already had a number one, but apparently that was just the prologue.  The Actual Number One, takes place before the other number one, which was the prologue,so actually this is the prologue, and I'm getting highly confused.

I am also a bit...disappointed.  I have been looking forward to this forever, because I love Jaime, and his family and his supporting cast, and Ted Kord is back!  Woohoo!  And all of these characters are here.  But the pace, and the dialogue were...a bit on the confusing side.  Colored balloons tell you who the speaker is...eventually, but there is no point of view, it is ALL dialogue, and it...doesn't flow particularly well. 

We have Brenda and Paco sniping at each other, Jaime being incredibly snarky, and they are at their school's career day...I assume, and Ted shows up, but is a flop, but the posse shows up.  And Jaime just flies off with Ted anyway, so they obviously know each other.  And Jaime is having scary recurring dreams about Dr. Fate and a giant scarab. 

I'll keep with it, because I REALLY want it to improve, but it was choppy and disjointed to say the least.

Everafter/Fables #2

More Fables stuff, which is always nice.  Connor Wolf, one of Bigby and Snow's kids is all grown up and has been recruited to be a spy, and is a bit insufferable about it frankly.  And he and Peter Piper and BoPeep and Hansel are chasing a little girl who likes to kill things.  Hansel bought the farm last issue, and good riddance.  It's...okay.  Connor is a jerk though.

Green Lantern Corps #5

Not nearly enough naked Guy in this one.  A fair amount of torture for him though, but all he keeps doing is reciting the Green Lantern Oath, which is pissing off the Bad Guy.  That's my boy.  It has dawned on John that Guy may be in trouble, so the entire corps is out looking for him, and run across some trouble, and there are some lovely two-page spreads of the Corps in action which is always nice.

Oh, and Soranik is finally taking to Hal, and he's naturally soooooo fabulous.

Good Green Lantern action.



Champions #1

Now this looks like it is going to be a great book!  Ms Marvel has finally had enough of the grown-ups cavalier attitude towards property damage, and quits!  She teams up with Nova and Spider-Man who have also quit for more or less the same reasons, and they team up with Visions daughter Viv, and also Amadeus Cho aka the Hulk.

It...works. It works quite well.  And it's fun, and quirky and the dialogue is great, each  character has a distinctive voice, which is always appreciated.  I am quite happy with this one.

Doctor Strange #12

In the aftermath of the battle, the wearied sorcerers and magic users are trying to put their lives back together.  The contractor hired to fix the mansion is...a little different, to say the least.  Wong isn't happy, isn't that always the case when working with home improvement people? 

And to make matters worse, Baron Mordo is back and trying to make Stephen's life miserable. Or more miserable. 

I do love this book.

Ms. Marvel #ll

Things are going from bad to worse with the whole Civil War crap.  Bruno is awake, but NOT happy.  He's hurt,and things are never going to be the same, and he's a bit fed up with being taken for granted, and who can blame him?  Kamala is over her head and overwhelmed.  She's also had it with Carol and her proactive approach to crime fighting, and especially with her little Nazi cohort, so she sets up a fake bomb attack,and naturally they fall for it, thus proving that prescience isn't infalliable.

Carol is all pissy and snotty and tells Kamala she's fired, and goes off in a snit.  Bruno decides he's going to go to school in Wakanda, which is the only one he can get into now, that he's handicapped. 

Stupid Carol!

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #12

Doreen and Nancy go off to Canada to a nice cabin on the woods to hang out with Doreen's mother. No wi-fi, no phones, no television, no social media of any kind!  Sounds like a little bit of heaven to Nancy, but Doreen is going stir-crazy.  Things are being covered back home by Brain Drain, which is a good thing.

Except...who stole the muffin out of the tupperware?  And who is Enigmo?

You'll just have to read it and see!  It's fabulous as usual.


Saga #38

Why do you keep killing off characters?  Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Our heroes made a brief pit stop that turned into months.  They made some new friends, which makes some of their old friends nervous, but hey.  And Prince Robot is still being a jerk. Izabel goes off to help him, and runs into some people who aren't worried that she's a ghost.

Waaaaaaaaaaah!

9 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

You put it better than I could. Yeah Blue Beetle felt off to me too. There were things I liked but there were also things that were distracting. I'm going to stick with it for awhile because I missed these characters and while the writing was awkward it was still better than the writing in other titles that make me drop books.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Forgot to mention but it's good to hear that the surgery wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

He was really freaking out about them cutting his eyeball... and I can't blame him in the least for that! And he still has to get the other one done in a few weeks. But he can already see a million times better.

I WANT Blue Beetle to be good... so very much. I Giffen could just relax a bit and maybe not try quite so hard...I think it could work.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

My hubby had cataract surgery over a year ago, both eyes, and he hardly needs his glasses, anymore. He's thrilled with the results.

Saga was so sad, I was also disappointed by Blue Beetle, Ms. Marvel is still one of Marvel's best titles, and it sounds like I might have to give Champions a try.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Apparently cataract surgery is quite the bee's knees! Douse your husband just need reading glasses?

IS...I really liked Izabel. *sniff*

I think you would like Champions!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, he has glasses for reading. It's really quite extraordinary. I have cataracts, too, but not bad enough yet for surgery.

I really liked Izabel, too. I think I audibly gasped when I read that page on the subway on my way home from my comics shop.

Okay, I'll make a note to look for Champions on Wednesday.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I think you will like it

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I made a note!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I got a chance to pick up Blue Beetle and I see what you mean. Giffen just needs to use some dadgum speech balloons.

The good news is, Ted made an offhand remark alluding to his own superhero career. Which increases the chances of Booster showing up, I think. Fingers crossed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home